ex2 power schedule and other comments

hi,

been using the wdex2 for one week now and here are some of my comment

1. I’ve set the unit to sleep every night from 1am to 6am in the schedule, but i notice that the schedule only allow me to set the unit to power on until 12pm and at midnight it will be off. I cannot set it to power on until 1am and restart on 6am the next day. any idea how to do it.  At first i thought the blue bars on the schedule were to set the shutdown time of the drive but they were actually there to indicate the “switch on” time for the drive.

wd schedule.png

1. The unit runs hot especially after heavy file backup operations, I’ve read on the other threads that fan only start blowing at 57C or higher. My drive also reach temperature in low 50s. I’ve tried to remove the drive after shutdown and it’s hot to touch with bare hands. So I have added a PC fan that taps the usb power and unit is now running at a lower temp. That’s not much noise from the fan as it was a 12v fan that was under power by the 5V usb mycloud connector. I also haven’t seen the ex2 internal fan turning on before, i think there should be setting in the webpage for the temperature threshold for the fan

2. could not understand why WD could not add a power button to the device, I can only reset by plugging and unplugging socket when the drive is in off mode. Also why does WD add useless option to disable LED in power save mode, how much power could the LED consume and without the LED, the user would have thought unit is already off. It would make more sense to have an option in the webpage to set the threshold temperature for the fan to start and stop.

3. I’m intending to use this NAS for long term storage, since the drive is running on RAID 1 thus if one of the hdd fail, I just swap out the HDD. But if the board fails, will I be able to take the HDD and mount it on a linux PC or windows PC to read all my stored data?

4. If I mount the two existing HDD in another empty WDEX2 case, will all the data on the HDD be intact. Will I be able to restore all the share file setting from the configuration file saved via the WDEX2 setting homepage.

5. anyway for WD to show progress bar for transferring file via the webfile viewer method, if i were to transfer large files it would just display “updating” without knowing the progress. 

Hello,

The options that are not available on the unit, please add that to the ideas board to see if that can be implemented on future updates.

Link to the ideas board: http://community.wd.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/idb-p/network_ideas

I’m intending to use this NAS for long term storage, since the drive is running on RAID 1 thus if one of the hdd fail, I just swap out the HDD. But if the board fails, will I be able to take the HDD and mount it on a linux PC or windows PC to read all my stored data?

If one of the drives fails, you can replace that and put it back in and the unit will rebuilt the raid and your information.

5. If I mount the two existing HDD in another empty WDEX2 case, will all the data on the HDD be intact. Will I be able to restore all the share file setting from the configuration file saved via the WDEX2 setting homepage.

Yes, the configuration will be save on the drive it self.

1 Like

what i want to know is, if i’m running RAID 1, will be able to take out one of the harddisk, mount it on a linux PC and be able to read my data ?

If the wdex2 board fails, will other device like a ex4 or mycloud or newer WD NAS able to read the data store on the original hdd ? This is because i’m afraid when the wdex2 board fails, WD may not sell wdex2 anymore or it is already obsolete and it will be hard for me to find a replacement board for the wdex2.

anyone has experience on this?

My solution to device fail was to buy another ex2 to use it only as a backup. remember that a NAS is only a storage solution and it should also be backed up. RAID is NOT backup, it’s redundancy.

As for the LED turn off option, best thing ever. Not everyone keeps the device in a separate room or in an IT room. Mine is in my bedroom and let me tell you that those leds can be very bright at night and makes you wanna trow the ex2 out the window. I turned the LEDs off and life is way better. So it has a practical application.

Also, if the device is powered off, you can use the WOL to wake up the NAS. I have an Asus rt AC68u router that has WOL. I can wake up my nas from my smartphone or from my router’s GUI. You can also try and use online sites if your router doesn’t support WOL.

Power scheduler on ex2 is very limited and we made alot of topics about this and posts in the suggestion board. M A Y B E the next update will rethink that, since WD doesn’t have to invent this thing. ( @ WD — just take a look at Micro$oft or other companies :)  )

61501768.jpg

1 Like