EX2 Disconnecting after firmware update

Hey All,

I’ve been running my EX2 w/o issues since I got it. However, after the recent firmware update, my EX2 will disconnect from the network after a day or less. I have to unplug it to get it back onto the network and then it’s okay for a few hours.

I’m running win10 on my pc, I’m using a r7000 router. And again, all was working fine before the recent firmware.

The EX2 was on a static IP in it’s own software. I just now added it as a static IP using the r7000 as well.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I and others have found that after an EX2 has had a firmware update it misbehaves until you do a factory restore (System Only type) to reset all the system settings. You don’t loose any data, but contrary to what the official instructions say, it does wipe your user logins and any apps you’ve installed.

It is a royal pain.

If you give your EX2 a static address it should be one outside the DHCP pool (know as the “scope”) of your router’s DHCP server. I think what you are describing when you say you’ve given it a static IP using your router is that you’ve assigned it a DHCP reservation. They are not the same thing.

A DHCP reservation is where you give your router the MAC address of a device (your EX2) and then reserve an IP address from it’s DHCP pool (“scope”) which it ONLY gives to that device. You then leave your device (the EX2) configured to use DHCP. The end effect is roughly the same in that your EX2 always has the same address - on your network. Plug it into a different network though and it will pick up a new address appropriate for that network.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10433

I have given the EX2 an IP address outside of the pool (192.168.1.2), where as my pool starts at 192.168.1.100.

I will try the factor restore.

So I did a factory reset to default system settings and my EX2 keeps disconnecting from the network. Any other suggestions?

Continues to disconnect. Only way to get it back it to unplug and replug it in.

Thoughts?

I’m afraid I don’t have a solution for you, just sympathy. My EX2 has had this same issue since I’ve had it. No solution from WD. I fear I have an expensive external hard drive system that now is falling into disuse and I’ve started to look at other options.
I truly hope that you get a solution (it’s been 6 months of pain for me :sob:).

So I took off the static IP on the EX2 directly and then set static IP via my R7000. It’s been about 4 days and I still have a connection, so that seems to be working.

Welp, that lasted about a week. Back to the EX2 disconnecting from my network.

I wish WD would get this fixed. Talk about a total waste of money.

I’ve been having same disconnect issues. One of the steps I did was to uninstall apps like Tranmission and Dropbox and started moving files to backup drive preparing to do a full reset of the system, but I noticed that while I’m backing up files my EX2 didn’t drop from network for 2 days now (before it wouldn’t last an hour before it disconnected)… Just a wild guess but I thinking Transmission torrent somehow messed my NAS up, or maybe some of the files I had on there had a virus that infected the system… anyways, there’s a suggestion try to weed through the apps you have installed on your NAS.
Just to mention, I also had a static IP assigned, turned off power saving and such…