Ethernet gigabits rates supported by boxes?

I have a Sony KDL-52EX700 at the end of a Wireline.   I want to re purpose one unused pair of the Cat5 wires so that I can run IR over the cable.  These w/b the same pairs that POE uses to power an end device.

If the max Ethernat rate is 100 Gb that is good for me; if 1000Gb I can’t do what I want.

I couldn’t find the rates in the specs or  downloads.  please advise on max Gb rates

TIA, MIke

Draw us a picture. I can’t understand what you’re trying to do.

OK, the Cat5 Ethernet cable is embeded in the wall between the TV and the WD wireline receiver box.

If the gigabit rate is low enough, I can cut into the Cat5 and take 2 unused wires and pass an IR signal over them.  The IR souirce is a Control4 home automation controller and the end point is an IR emitter.   I would be cutting the IR line  in half and splicing in the unused pair of wires in the Cat5 cable IF WD wireline does NOTsupport 1000Gb over the Cat5.

Does this help?

thx, Mike

“If the Gigabit Rate is Low Enough…”

Well, gigabit is gigabit.   It only comes in one rate:   Gigabit.  :)

So, if you cut the unused pairs (wires 4,5,7 and 8) you won’t be able to use anything but 10/100 megabit.

The specifications say that it’s IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.3u compliant.  That, to me, says that the ethernet ports are only 10/100, not 10/100/1000, so you should be safe.

HOWEVER, if your IR-to-Wire device causes lots of EMI on that pair, you could cause enough interference to cause problems on the ethernet pairs.

Thanks Tony,  

OK,OK so I took a short cut.  I shoudl have said "If 10/100Gb then I can cut… "   mia culpa.

But your 802.3 and 802.3u specs were the thing I was looking for.   Wikipedia “Ethernet” has a good chart  show the wire pair uses.

The IR emmissions are infrequent - on/off, change inputs hdmi1/hdmi2, channel up/down, and volume up/down, etc.   I.e, it is not continuous IR.  If it becomes a problem, I’ll re-install new RJ-45 connectors and try something else.

Thanks,Mike