Ethernet drops every 5 seconds during initial setup (updated)

Hi everyone,

I have troubles setting up a recent bought My Cloud 3TB. See below a video showing the problem it has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcqBEVyo2A4

It happens when I access My Cloud through Windows - I cannot even set up My Cloud as the ethernet connection drops every 5 second. I only able to access dashboard when it’s NOT dropouts with few attempts, and disconnections occur after few minutes.

I have reset and updated to the latest firmware on both my router and My Cloud.

Does anyone shed some light on what’s happening? Would it be a defective product that I need to send this for RMA?

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue.

Router Name and Model Asus DSL-N55U
Is the My cloud connected directly to the router YES
How often does the device disconnect every 5 seconds
Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions  when trying to access it through network
LED color when offline blinking white?
From the Dashboard

Content Scan Status It says OK or IDLE
Capacity usage Details: ( Not even putting a single file)

Free Space
Videos
Tracks
Photos
other

ISP TPG
Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) DSL
Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) NONE
Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. MSE
Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Windows Firewall
Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes

Updated 26 Feb

Hi,

Here’s the heads up of testing my WD mycloud. Tested it in my friends place he is with a netgear router and Telstra network and it works perfectly! My cloud is able to be detected within 5 seconds and stable connection is established.

And my asus dsl 55u got firmware update today. Still the problem remains when it is connected to my asus router…real headache! Again it happens when I run the wd setup software and the drive disconnect itself every five second.

I am so curious that it’s either my modem router set up issue or the internet service provider is playing the role, any thought?

Regards,

Jeff

Have you try another cables?

Hi Ribas,

I started with the ethernet cable included with the package and another LAN cable that I’ve got. The problem exists with both cables.

Regards,

Jeff

Have you tried different ports the router / switch?  Does the power go off when it disconnects?

Try an internet speed test of your DSL. Use link below to see what you are getting.

http://www.speedtest.net/

What Operating System are you using?

Hi  tnynyn,

I don’t have another router and switch at the moment but the lan ports work fine with other devices such as my laptop PC.

The power of Mycloud doesn’t go off when it get disconnected, the blue LED is on like what I have shown in the video.

Hi Cat0W,

I tested it with my desktop PC and is no luck -  it cannot connect the device when I create the personal cloud even I can see it under connection page, during the inital setup. My laptop is with Windows 7 64 -bit and my desktop PC is with Windows 7 32-bit.

I even try typing http://wdmycloud on my ipad by following the instrcution but it doesn’t connect to any web page

The download speed is 9.26 Mbps, upload speed is 0.87Mbps, Ping 22 with my ipad.

Thanks and Regards,

Might be defective.  Try exchanging with another unit

Tnynyn, it’s a birthday gift from my friend who bought this in Hong Kong and I am residing in Australia. 

Well will contact WD support in Australia and see if they have any idea.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Hi,

Here’s the heads up of testing my WD mycloud. Tested it in my friends place he is with a netgear router and Telstra network and it works perfectly! My cloud is able to be detected within 5 seconds and stable connection is established.

I am so curious that it’s either my modem router set up issue or the internet service provider is playing the role, any thought?