Ethernet connection 10Mbps on debricked device

Hi,

Lately my wdmycloud 2TB died (after firmware downgrade from v4.xx and unsuccesfull miniDLNA installation) and only way I ressurection way was the debricking procedure. Unfortunatelly after that, my device is capable to communicate only 10Mbps. 10Mbps is a real transfering speed to device, and it is also recognized as such ethernet connection type by router. Just few days earlier, on the same cables and architecture, it used to work faster (at least up to 100Mbps).

The architecture is:

WD Mycloud connected with athernet cable to router (Technicolor TC7200).LG Smart TV is coneccted with another cable to the same router (recognized at 100Mbps speed)

All other devices (laptops and smartphones) in LAN use WIFI (802.11n).

I checked few additional ethernet cables (also the working one from the LG Smart TV) without any success. 

I will be really grateful for some advice.

Thanks a lot in advance

Usually cables will cause this, or damaged socket.

Run below while the network is connected. You could verify the speed, autoneg on or off and its duplex:

ethtool eth0

Below will let you play with the parameters, -h for help:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 10/100/1000 duplex half/full autoneg on/off

Note if the network goes down unplug the ethernet cable for at least 5secs before plugging it back.

1 Like

After running ‘ethtool eth0’:

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [TP MII]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Current message level: 0x00000036 (54)
                               probe link ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

Then I used:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on

however it is hard to say what are the results becouse, after such command network goes down and it does not want to stand up again (after unplagging cable for more then 5sec). In order to communicate back with device I had to make hard reboot (unplag power cable), however ethtool -s changes where not applied after suc reboot.

How can I make such changes permament on this device?

I’m not sure but I think you can’t specify autoneg on together with speed 100. Meaning set speed 100 autoneg off or just autoneg on. I maybe wrong though.

Before actually messing with the startup which could result another brick, we need to confirm first it works.

I’m not with the nas now but you could try combining the commands in line. If the 1st command succeed, it will run the next command to bring the link up. Wait a while and watch the led before doing hard reboot.

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full && ifup eth0

Unfortunatelly, there was no positive result.

Connection with device was not renewed and hard reboot was necessary.

If there is no error in the command

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full && ifup eth0

syntax, I would try the startup conf files modification.

While my linux knowledge is rather poor, I would be grateful for some guidance over here :slight_smile:

Thanks and regards ,

We’ll need to check first if its working before modifying the startup conf. Else you’ll need to debrick the nas again which is painful compared to hard reboot.

How about this? Again lookout for the led changes. This could take nearly as long as it takes for the nas to reboot. Make the changes, sleep 5secs then restart the networking service:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off && sleep 5 && service networking restart
1 Like

It worked :slight_smile:

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [TP MII]
        Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes: 100baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: off
        Current message level: 0x00000036 (54)
                               probe link ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

test also confimed new bandwith. Thank you very much for your help.

The last open issue is to make such change permanent :slight_smile:

Np glad it help. For making it permanent you could use cronjobs. Run:

crontab -e

Enter the following in one single line (ctrl-x to exit):

@reboot /sbin/ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off && /bin/sleep 5 && /usr/sbin/service networking restart

Note that this will reset on firmware updates/reflash which you’ll need to restore. Also look out for the restart email notifications if you have set them and if it’s still being sent out. I’m not sure when exactly the email will be triggered. If it’s not there let me know as I’ll need to dig up where we need to inject these before the notification event.

Ps: There’s actually an official way to make this permanent using “post-up ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off” but I’m not sure it would work with this nas and no time to test if it bricks it.

1 Like

Thank you very much again :slight_smile:

I did as you suggested, then made the test system reboot. Everything works fine. 100Mbps setting remained permanent.

As to the firmware update, I beleive it wont be a problem really. Curently I am on the v03.04.01-230, which is the last before prolematic. I am not going to update higher for a while :slight_smile:

Great! The email work too? I’ve edited my last post mentioning about official method JFYI.