Escalating support ticket to a human?

Could someone at WD escalate Case Number #120217-12519530 to a human? My initial report was not read by the initial auto-responder, and I’ve pointed out several times to the subsequent auto-responders that they haven’t read it and are failing their Turing Test, to no avail.

Try dropping a PM to one of the actual WD staff that sometimes saunters through here, like @Bill_S

This is actually the community site, and it gets… very little… traffic from official WD support people. As for your support ticket, unless it is hardware replacement, we might be able to help you with your issue all the same, if you tell us what the problem is.

Hmm, @Bill_S was last “Seen Sep 20,” and doesn’t seem to list a contact address. I’ll summarize the problem in a separate post; since my original post, I’ve gotten a couple more auto-responses that seem to rule out my previous hope that a human might actually be reading the support requests as they came in, while not taking the time to read the original complaint: I pointed out that they were failing their Turing Test, and asked them to provide evidence they had actually read the issue. Instead of an indignant denial and claim of humanity, I got two more pre-canned responses.

I recently bought a WD drive to attach via USB to my WD MyCloud, but it doesn’t show up; this seemed to be because of the “Logical Unit Number” problem described in My Cloud: External USB Drive Will Not Mount, Not Seen or Detected, presumably because of the phony drive for the WD software. I followed the instructions there (output below; the web interface seems to have mangled the line breaks), which leads to an attempt to pass the buck to another company (“Please consult your USB drive techncial support department”), except that in this case, the other company is also WD.

dmesg | grep Attached 
[ 1.421951] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0  
[ 1.472575] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk  
[1326681.918594] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0  
[1326681.956778] scsi 2:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5  
[1326681.986177] scsi 2:0:0:2: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 13  
[1326689.369932] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk 

Here’s the USB drive info from the web interface:
USB Device Name Western_Digital My_Passport_25E2 Manufacturer Western_Digital Model My_Passport_25E2 Serial Number WX21D777HNRR Firmware Version 4.004 Size 0 Port Connected USB port 1

Any chance I can get the full dmseg output? This looks related to some issues I had with a sata->usb adapter under linux a few months back-- basically, it does not present itself as a HID storage class device, and so it gets owned by the generic scsi subsystem driver (sg) instead.

Sadly, my solution was to use a different converter… That is probably not an option with an integrated drive…

I will look to see if this device has a history of this in other linux systems.

Ok… More questions.

Does this disk have more than one partition? Also, you mentioned that it has a phony (presumably CDrom) drive for install media files.

The automounter in the myclouds is… Horrifically stupid. Really, I dont have better words to describe how horrible-bad it is. It only will mount the first partition on any disk. (If there is more than one partition, they wont be mounted.) It will also only respond to the first logical device returned from a USB disk insertion, so if the first thing it presents is the fake cdrom, thats all she wrote (since this thing does not know about iso9660 or UDF file systems).

I will see if there is any software to neuter that “Helpful” feature of this drive.

Yup, I suspect it is the lovely “Convenient feature” of the virtual CD drive that is the problem here. Looks like you can only disable it on windows, according to WD.
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3835#winwithsw

Since toggling the setting seems to be retained after you powercycle the drive, try turning that garbage off using a windows machine and attaching it then.

Apparently not:

Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.

Here’s the grepped bit:

root@Fenachrone root # dmesg | grep Attached
[    1.421951] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[    1.472575] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[1326681.918594] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[1326681.956778] scsi 2:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
[1326681.986177] scsi 2:0:0:2: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 13
[1326689.369932] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Clever, thanks. (I was looking for a Linux command to run after each boot.) I’ll see if I can get that to work in my Windows VM.

Was there any love from disabling the ‘useful feature’ on the drive?

Oops, the page you linked said, “The VCD cannot be disabled if you wish to use the Drive Lock feature,” which I am.

Then you are gonna have to use some kind of custom script to do the mounting, or use a different external hard drive that supports the lock feature without having some compatibility breaking crapware enabled.

shrug

1 Like