Error : You need to format the disc in drive ... before you can use it

Help guys!! When I connect my western digital My Book Essential 1TB to my acer computer I can’t access it, as it asks from me that “I need to format the disc in drive @@ before I can use it”. Can I do something to avoid losing all my files??

Hello,

Are you still having the same issue?

I have started having this problem now.  The drive was fine yeasterday but today the lights are flashing and I get the error message that I can’t access the drive unless I format it.   Can anyone help please?

I have same error - stayed when I switched from XP PC to a Vista laptop - no warning -drive is about 6 months old

Here’s the Data Lifeguard quick test result - any ideas on how to recover the data?

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD Ext HDD 1021
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number: 2002
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 10:20:15, March 17, 2011

So as i searched everywhere and could not find a solution i formatted my disc… the problem is just yesterday it happened again! Now that i have once more saved several hundred gigs there! So please, does someone know a solution about how i’m gonna save my data?