Error Message on My Passport Pro

Every time I plug my hard drive into my Mac, I get this message - The drive in slot B is missing. Please replace the missing drive and configure it using the WD Drive Utilities application. The drive passes the WD tests and seems to be working, so I have no idea what is being advised.

Can anyone guide me? I don’t want to re-format the drive if that means losing everything I already have on it, but if I must…I must, and I’ll find a way to store it elsewhere while re-formatting.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi tracyromm,

Have you tried using the drive with other computer?

Also, you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support if you are having trouble with the form.

I have not tried it with another computer. And I did contact tech support. They sent me to an article on How to format a WD hard drive to exFAT or FAT32. I replied that this is fine, if it is the solution, but my understanding of formatting is that it would erase what I have stored on the drive. So I asked for more explanation as to how this will solve the problem. No reply to my reply yet.

I’d like to understand what this error message is actually telling me when the test of the drive shows it is fine and it seems to be working properly - so far.