?Error Code -50? OR "Name too long..."

Hi all,

Trying to put files onto my WD MyBook for Mac wirelessly via Airport Extreme (Base Station) and I keep getting strange error codes. Until recently this method had worked perfectly on both my new and older Macs, suddenly it’s like the drive has decided to admit no further information… only it’s a 1TB drive and I’ve put maybe 80GB of files onto it.

On an Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro the “Error Code -50” comes up whenever trying to drag and drop files into the drive.

On a PowerBook G4 with OSX 10.4… there is a longer message explaining that the file names are too long on some of the files and cannot therefore be transferred. This is the case even when the file name is one or two letters or numbers, with or without file extensions, etc.

Downloading files from the drive still works on both machines. Deleting files from the drive still works on both machines.

Why doesn’t uploading work? How can I fix it?

THANKS in advance!

UK

Hi there, what if you try to connect the drive directly to the computer to discard the wireless connection as a cause?

That’s what I would try first…

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Hi there, what if you try to connect the drive directly to the computer to discard the wireless connection as a cause?

That’s what I would try first…

Sorry for not including that! I did try that first, but hadn’t in a while. Unfortunately, the result this time seemed the same as the last time I tried it…

Automatic error message when directly connected: “Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.” It says this without me opening disk utility.

…so…

When running disk utility I get: “Invalid node structure. The disk needs to be repaired, click repair” and when I do I get the first message again: “Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.”

Any ideas?