Error code 0x8078002A I/O device error what do I do?

I can’t backup can’t complete because of the error 0x8078002A I/O device error what do I do?

An Input/Output device error indicates a physical communication/interface issue. First step would be to replace the unit’s USB cable. If the error persists the unit will need to be replaced due to a bridge (Controller) issue.

Tips to fix-

Solution 1. Check that the relevant services are running.
Solution 2. Check your disk for errors.
Solution 3. Run SFC and DISM.
Solution 4. Change Windows registry.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

There are a number of causes for this error code, including:
The 0x8078002A backup error code may appear if you try to backup your information to an external drive using a drive with a 4K logical disc sector size.
It may be challenging to perform a system backup if your copy of Windows was corrupted, either from an external disc or a faulty media stick.
The 0x8078002A error can be brought on by a forced system shutdown brought on by a system crash.
Backup problems may also be brought on by damaged system files that are the result of numerous factors (such as malware infestation).

Solution 1. Check that the relevant services are running

First, you need to ensure that Windows Backup and Volume Shadow Copy services are running:

• Type Services in Windows search and press Enter.
  • In the new window, scroll down to locate the Volume Shadow Copy service.
  • Double-click the service to open Properties.
  • Under Startup type, select Automatic from the drop-down menu.
  • Click Start, Apply, and OK.
  • Repeat the process with the Windows Backup service.

Solution 2. Check your disk for errors

• Type cmd in Windows search.
  • Right-click on the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
  • When UAC shows up, click Yes.
  • If you are using a hard drive (HDD) for storing your operating system files, use the following command and press Enter:
    chkdsk c: /f
  • If you are using a Sold State Driver (SSD) for Windows, use the following command instead:
    chkdsk c: /f /r /x
  • If you are asked whether you want to proceed with the check after a reboot, type in Y and hit Enter.
  • Restart the system to begin the check – you can check the results in the Event Viewer once your system boots back up (Open Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application Log > right-click > Find > type wininit >Find Next).

Solution 4. Change Windows registry

Solution 3. Run SFC and DISM.

Solution 4: Power Cycle Your PC.

To power cycle your computer, you can do as follows.

If you are using a desktop computer, you need to turn off your computer and cut any electric input; then press and hold the power button for a while before you put everything back together.

If you are using a laptop, you should shut it down and then remove the battery; press and hold the power button to wait a while before plugging everything back.

Then you can repeat the steps to create your backup to see if the 0x8078002a is still there.

Check Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup

Your backup can be created successfully only when some designated services are enabled. You need to check if these basic requirements have been met. Please follow the next steps to check their status.

Check Volume Shadow Copy

Step 1: Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Win + R keys and input services.msc to enter the Services window.

Step 2: Scroll down to locate Volume Shadow Copy and double-click on it.
Step 3: Just make sure Service status is running and the Startup type is set as Automatic ; if not, please click Start under Service status and expand the Startup type: list to choose Automatic .
Step 4: After you finish your changes, please click on Apply and OK.

Check Windows Backup

The way to check Windows Backup is as same as Volume Shadow Copy Still, in the Services window, locate Windows Backup and repeat the same steps to make sure its Service status is running. If not, click Start to run it.

Then check if the Windows backup error code 0x8078002a has been fixed; if not, please continue the troubleshooting.

Format Your External Hard Drive

If all the above methods can’t resolve your problem and there is the last resort to get rid of the Windows backup error code 0x8078002a – reinstall Windows. To do that, i suggested backing up your important data first.