Equalizer for music playback needed!

The audio quality of the music playback is really poor.  I really wish to have a simple EQ to be able to improve the sound with some presets for the different Genres (Jazz, Rock, etc…). There are a lot of people who have connected the WDTV to an amplifier without this capability. Also there is no way to assign automatically the presets to the different Genres, this can only be done by the playback device being able to combine the MP3 header information of the actual song with the different presets previously customized in the setup.

WD-Moderator: Can I expect that this feature will be included sometime in any further releases?

Regards,

fefefef wrote:

The audio quality of the music playback is really poor.  I really wish to have a simple EQ to be able to improve the sound with some presets for the different Genres (Jazz, Rock, etc…). There are a lot of people who have connected the WDTV to an amplifier without this capability. Also there is no way to assign automatically the presets to the different Genres, this can only be done by the playback device being able to combine the MP3 header information of the actual song with the different presets previously customized in the setup.

WD-Moderator: Can I expect that this feature will be included sometime in any further releases?

Regards,

You have to add it in the ideas section and people can vote on it. However don’t hold your breath.

I think most people would be surprised how well this little box could handle music collections as well as video, if given the chance.  WD should take heed to the many audiophiles out there and work on it.

At the moment they really need to put all their efforts in getting the unit to work correctly.

1 Like

An audio EQ?    That’s kinda nuts.   The WDTV outputs what it’s given.  

If your output is poor, then your files are garbage.  Garbage In=Garbage Out.

The quality of my MP3’s and AACs are outstanding.   If I wanted to Re-EQ it, I’d do it in my receiver, not on the WDTV.

1 Like

Exactly, the WDLive handles what it’s given and the output is flat and should be.  It’s up to you to tweak the EQ on your receiver.

I have had zero issues with sound coming out of the box.   You might notice this problem if you output multichannel audio on a 2 speaker setup as the WDLive does not have advanced audio functions.  Try using the optical output (digital) and you’ll see !

This box is meant to deliver full potential when using both HDMI and Optical audio out, you will truely appreciate the results !

carib wrote:

I think most people would be surprised how well this little box could handle music collections as well as video, if given the chance.  WD should take heed to the many audiophiles out there and work on it.

audiophiles do not listen to music via wdtv live :smiley:

the gear they use depends how deep their pockets are…and probably how “supportive” their other half is :wink:

purists will never distort music with these “artificial” EQ presets…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

An audio EQ?    That’s kinda nuts.   The WDTV outputs what it’s given.  

If your output is poor, then your files are garbage.  Garbage In=Garbage Out.

The quality of my MP3’s and AACs are outstanding.   If I wanted to Re-EQ it, I’d do it in my receiver, not on the WDTV.

My sentiments exactly

Don’t get your undies in a pinch guys :smileyvery-happy:.  You all seem a little too defensive :dizzy_face:.  A true audiophile wouldn’t be listening to mp3s in the first place.  However, given the opportunity to listen to less compressed audio files like FLAC and have them conveniently stored away on a network drive, who wouldn’t want to have this little box right next to a home stereo receiver:wink:?

we don’t need WD working on getting weather channels, EQ’s,  etc and other items that your TV, internet and/or stereo receiver should be doing.  it’s a $100 media box, used for video, audio, pics.

perhaps they could work on the crashing, network sharing all media viewable issue, thumbnails and DVD MENUS, rather than a bunch more features that don’t/won’t work.

Ditto most of what’s being said here. EQ isn’t some magic bullet to make a crappily compressed song sound better, or to make a crappy set of  amp/speakers sound like a high end system. In any case if it is needed, it should be applied on your receiver, and always the same for every audio source. All those EQ presets you usually find in software players -like Winamp- or cheap boomboxes are plain garbage.

Equalization is needed at the recording/mixing studio to deal with room acoustics, that affect some frequencies, or because of asthetical reasons, like the lead singer not being drowned by the sound of the guitars. Anyway, the resulting mix should be presented “as is” to your sound system, and ideally your system should have a flat response throughout. If you room has some acoustical problem -there’s no ideal listening room- then it would require some precise tuning done by someone who knows a bit about sound calibration, most usually a trained technician. That kind of proper use of an equalizer has very little to do with applying bizarre EQ presets like winamp etc… and it won’t be applied at the source.

If you apply arbitrary EQ to your sound files, just for the sake of it, you’re basically saying that you know better than the audio engineers that recorded and mixed the tracks in the first place, and I’m afraid 99.99% of the time you’ll be wrong. It’s pretty much like the guy who goes to a backalley tuning shop to get his 10 yo car customized; 99.99% of the time you’ll end up with an even crappier looking car.

Oh and btw, if you use the digital output the blame on the poor audio quality is entirely on your audio system. My music (encoded with flac, no crappy lossy encodes) sounds incredibly well on my Onkyo receiver with Kef speakers.

“Oh and btw, if you use the digital output the blame on the poor audio quality is entirely on your audio system. My music (encoded with flac, no crappy lossy encodes) sounds incredibly well on my Onkyo receiver with Kef speakers.”

BRAVO!! At last someone “gets it”.  EQ is besides the point, I never said it was needed in the first place, the little box has great potential as a music server.

carib… I could not agree with you more… I have my WD HDMI’d into my Onkyo and I could not be happier. It does DTS & DD 5.1 very well also. Great little box for the money… cj