Enter owner password but can't access into dashboard

Hi All,

I bought My Book Live 1TB 2 days ago and now I am encountering the same error as yours.

The dashboard is not loading properly thus I can’t do setup, even for mobile apps on my smartphones.

Geez, WD already FAILED me TWICE now.

I bought WD My Passport 500GB a month ago, backed up around 470GB of my precious files, after 1 week BOOM!

My 470GB worth of backed up files are gone.

Now, I still don’t touch my WD My Passport, as according to my PC, it still occupy the 470GB space.

I still looking now for recovery software.

WD Guys, PLEASE help us on these things…

Just spoke with WD and yes they acknowledge it is a problem and they’re “working” on it…for 3 months! Their only solution was an RMA to replace the drive and “hope” it doesn’t happen again. They have “no idea” when a fixed firmware will be available…grrrr

Not a good first experience of their product, but their support guy was good.

I’m also RMA’ing the unit.

I bought this drive today - all looks great, until the formware update and now exactly the same symptoms.

So, as it is currently storing some files for me, tomorrow I will be packaging it up and  taking it back for an exchange…

Terrible service from WD, knowing that the firmware is a dud and yet allowing people to update using it!!

Same problem here, had the drive for a few days, after the firmware update today it’s been having these problems.  using the reset button doesn’t help at all.

Same thing here, they want to replace the drive, no indication that it’ll be solved, ever.

Same thing happen to me after i update the firmware.

I don’t think RMA is the option because i don’t have spare storage to save my data.

I have already email support but no respond.

If this not solve ASAP i will never buy another WD product.

Oh dear!

I too just bought an MBL and have the same dashboard issue - seemingly from what others say due to updating the firmware. I can access the drive - it is seen as a mapped drive etc. so it it is not a loss of communication

If you shutdown the MBL - using the taskbar utility, then when you restart the drive you can use the dashboard - just once though. When you try again you are back as you were. It seems tedious to have to restart the system just to create shares or whatever.

My other problem is with WD2go - it doesn’t! I get the message ‘Timeout while trying to connect…’

So far, not a good experience and from what others say, there is not a lot of support frm WD direct. Perhaps they don’t want to sell too many!

Same problem here. I will ask for an RMA tomorrow. Wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to solve the problem only to find out from this forum that it is futile and that the firmware locks the dashboard and thus renders all settings unusable. What a shame! Terrible situation, and I am wondering what WD is doing about it to inform the people who have bought the device, surely upon registration a message should warn the user, moreover why have they not modified or quarantined the firmware that causes this fault? It must be costing the company dearly. Come one WD, you have great looking products, do the right thing for your customers, and fix the problem once and for all.

Firmware Release 2.10.12 - 129 (3/14/2012)

Just came out from the closet today! check it out I am about to install it hoping it will solve this issue.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live

• Resolved issue where dashboard user interface no longer appears after power cycle
  • Resolved firmware update issue resulting in remote access needing to be re-enabled
  • Resolved issue causing long boot times when the device has no Internet access
  • Resolved issue where dashboard user interface does not appear when entering the device name in the browser URL address field on some networks

Can you let us know if it fixed it.

We all are having the same problem to not being able to access the dashboard!

So how could a firmwareupdate help if you can’t access the dashboard to install it ???

Bumpity bump bump

How can we install the fix without the dashboard?

If I try to go to /ssh it redirects to login. Enter password redirects to login. /UI redirects to login.

Is there any other way to install the new update? RMA is not worth it to me. My data is worth far, far more than the unit. I will have to defect to another vendor.

Just RMA’d my “RE-CERTIFIED” replacement that I’ve had for a little over 24 hours now due to this issue.

Seems like WD’s MBL is nothing but trouble and if you do have a well functioning unit, WD will brick it with their crappy firmware releases.

Just spoke to tech support. After the tech assured me that resetting the device would not lose my data, it [edited] lost my data. [edited] WD! Now I have to wait a day for level 2 support to call me back?

I have 2 Live TVs, a MybookLive, and 2 internal HDs. I’m going shopping to replace all of it. I’ll post a video of me destroying them all Office Space style when I’m done. I’m only a loyal customer if the company is loyal to me.

Got myself a 3TB SeaGate GoFlex Home, 2 NetGear NeoTVs and 2 SeaGate Barracudas all for less than $500 at BestBuy. I’ve cooled down some and decided not to destroy my WD stuff. I’ll be selling it on eBay (not the MBL obviously) and I expect my full investment in switching to decent vendors will be $250. That is waaaay less than the value of my data.

Goodbye WD.

Any update on this?  I cannot access my dashboard.  My green linight blinks all the time. I can access the drive and perform file operations.

I just got this error. Actually after updating to the latest firmware (which should solve this problem).

I’m never buying a WD Product again.

I RMA’d the drive (experiencing the same issue), as well as my old one literally burnt up inside.

So I managed to figure out what my problem was. Short story: There is a limit to how long your owner password can be (15 characters?), as well as, you are not allowed to use any special characters.

Long Story: Got on the phone with tech support, and explained how, with the older firmware it would inform you of these limitations, so you didn’t end up setting a password outside of these parameters, thereby locking yourself out of your own drive. The most recent firmware doesn’t tell you, it just lets you enter your password. I am quite surprised to see that this is an issue that is long overdue for addressing. I mean, “What kind of Linux system (which is what these drives run) has a limit on the passwords you can use?”. If you are having problems accessing your drive, you can follow these directions to restore your drive to factory settings. Apparently this is a non destructive restore, but I always recommend you back up your data before doing anything like this, if at all possible. Directly from email from WD tech support: (edited for syntax), also if you have changed the name on the drive, you will use that name, or the IP address instead of “mybooklive”

First enable SSH on the My Book Live Dashboard by this link: http://mybooklive/UI/ssh, then you can use SSH to log in with username: root, password: welc0me, then (without quotes): “cd /usr/local/sbin”, then enter this command (without quotes): “sh factoryRestore.sh noreformat”, then wait about 10 minutes and send a reboot message in SSH. This will bring you back to the factory default screen in the dashboard.

Good luck,

[Deleted]

ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U04jsaA:ref

From this point, you can now secure the drive, using a password that conforms to the very insecure, and limited standards, that I haven’t quite discovered the limits on just yet. (So far all I know is: Must be between 5 - 15 characters, and contain no special characters).

Good luck and cheers. Let’s hear your response WD, and I’ll be waiting for my paycheck in the mail! :laughing: