Enhancement Request: FAN keeps spinning!

All the WD TV LIVE HUB users must have already noticed that the tiny little fan in the unit keeps spinning forever once the system goes thru’ post, Even if you power off the unit via remote or using the power button, the FAN keeps spinning at low speeds.

While I completely understand that this unit being a somewhat NAS device in some respects :smiley: for people who do not use it for media sharing and when especially when NETWORK is inactive, the FAN should stop spinning just like the HDD stops spinning when there is extended periods of inactivity.

Can you please see if this can be implemented? this will increase the longevity of the poor little fan.

Thanks

Well, the CPU stays active, and it gets warm.

In case you didn’t know, if you’re not using the extended server functions, you can completely power it down by holding the power button for 3 seconds or longer.

Hmmm… 

Did not know that. :neutral_face:  I will try that tonight  and let you know…

Thanks…

I confirmed that by pressing the power button for 3 secs or more in the front of the WDTV LIVE HUB unit, it completely powers down the LIVE HUB. The FAN stops spinning completely.

This is a workable solution for me and I would like to close this thread.

Thanks for the tip :wink:

Personally I don’t find this a workable solution as there are usually several people using the hub and sometimes difficult to  instruct that need to hold down the button to switch off completely considering no other device requires this.

Please just add an option

Whats difficult about instructing users to hold down the power off button for a few seconds? There is no harm down if you don’t put it in a deeper standby.

richUK wrote:

Whats difficult about instructing users to hold down the power off button for a few seconds? There is no harm down if you don’t put it in a deeper standby.

Again name another device that needs you to do that… keep in mind your already teaching people who haven’t been exposed to media players. Meaning on top of explaining to them how to browse,  Select files  etc you have to teach them a new trick how to turn them off.

The one reason for the WD TV’s dominance in the past is on how easy it is to use expanding it’s market to people not normally accustomed to using these devices, which in turn takes it from the geek’s bedroom to the front room.

If it becomes too hard it won’t be used or be bought.

Apollo wrote:

richUK wrote:

Again name another device that needs you to do that… keep in mind your already teaching people who haven’t been exposed to media players. Meaning on top of explaining to them how to browse,  Select files  etc you have to teach them a new trick how to turn them off.

The one reason for the WD TV’s dominance in the past is on how easy it is to use expanding it’s market to people not normally accustomed to using these devices, which in turn takes it from the geek’s bedroom to the front room.

1.  Um, isn’t that the same way a computer works?  What happens if you quickly press the power buton on a computer?  It could be a variety of things, but rarely does the computer turn off unless you hold the power button.

2.  Holding a button for 3 seconds is hardly what I would call a trick. I think even the most technology illiterate people can figure that one out.  think if you can master syncing everything and tranferring files to and from the device, you can figure out holding a button down for a few seconds.

3.  the microscopic fan that runs makes zero noise and will run for years if you keep dust out of it so it’s not a big deal.  it was designed to be runing all the time.

Apollo wrote:

richUK wrote:

The hub is a media player and a simple NAS. You press the button to turn off the media player whilst leaving the hard disc available on your network. The 3 second push is to shut down the hard disc as well. Its quite simple and easy for most people to understand once explained. If you don’t do the 3 second power off nothing bad will happen. Its only for those people who want to save some power or don’t like hearing the fan.

sigh… why isn’t NAS mainstream? because it too difficult for mum’s & dad’s to use right? So WD has tried to simplify and bring NAS to home use (MBW etc) but everyone who has used it agrees it’s not that user friendly… keep defending until the cows come home but the proof is in the sales. Only offering advice

Apollo wrote:

sigh… why isn’t NAS mainstream? because it too difficult for mum’s & dad’s to use right? So WD has tried to simplify and bring NAS to home use (MBW etc) but everyone who has used it agrees it’s not that user friendly… keep defending until the cows come home but the proof is in the sales. Only offering advice

You are putting your Mum and Dad down - are you really saying that they can’t remember to hold the power down for a few seconds. As I said before even if they don’t turn the disc and fan off its not doing any harm - it just uses a bit more power.

Its also not a NAS that they have to use, it just happens to also be a simple NAS for those who want to use it so. Mum and Dad do not have to know anything about the NAS. All they need to know that if they quickly press the off button the hub will go into standby and if they press it longer it will also turn off the fan and disc - Simple.

OMG, why not just add the **bleep** option, and then another option for geek users to turn of the first option. :wink:

J.Jespersen

Denmark

richUK wrote:

Apollo wrote:

You are putting your Mum and Dad down - are you really saying that they can’t remember to hold the power down for a few seconds. As I said before even if they don’t turn the disc and fan off its not doing any harm - it just uses a bit more power.

Its also not a NAS that they have to use, it just happens to also be a simple NAS for those who want to use it so. Mum and Dad do not have to know anything about the NAS. All they need to know that if they quickly press the off button the hub will go into standby and if they press it longer it will also turn off the fan and disc - Simple.

No, your putting down my Mum & Dad as what I said is purely an expression to describe a demographic. It was also in relation to NAS not just for the button hold.

jdjespersen wrote:

OMG, why not just add the **bleep** option, and then another option for geek users to turn of the first option. :wink:

J.Jespersen

Denmark

OMG, thank you someone else who sees the simple solution

jdjespersen wrote:

OMG, why not just add the **bleep** option, and then another option for geek users to turn of the first option. ;-

I think I see your point, and I think you and I agree!  

But to Apollo:  Because it’s simply not practical.   If they add an option for every little thing which one or two people want to be different, the configuration menu would be hundreds of items long.   And how user friendly to “Mom & Dad” would that be? 

And believe me…  Read enough of the threads here and on the Live/Live+ forum and Ideas Lab, and you’ll see HUNDREDS of proposed user-configuration options.  ;)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

jdjespersen wrote:

OMG, why not just add the **bleep** option, and then another option for geek users to turn of the first option. ;-

I think I see your point, and I think you and I agree!  

But to Apollo:  Because it’s simply not practical.   If they add an option for every little thing which one or two people want to be different, the configuration menu would be hundreds of items long.   And how user friendly to “Mom & Dad” would that be? 

And believe me…  Read enough of the threads here and on the Live/Live+ forum and Ideas Lab, and you’ll see HUNDREDS of proposed user-configuration options.  ;)

Yeh I think you right on that one,  i also think it’s more of a problem with WD missing SKU from their range (WD TV not Elements w/HDD) then it is trying to make the Live work that way. Cheers for your reply