Encryption question

Can some one explain how the encryption works on this device.  Is it certificate based or can I import/export public/private keys?  Can I modify the keys/certs?

Hi,

If is remotly, It will depend on the services that you have enable on the unit.

If you are using the WD App, the encryption will be base on WEB DAV.

If I encrypt a volume using the volume encryption option, how are the keys handled.  I don’t see where I can regenerate new keys and/or protect the keys.  I see where I can download the key (which key?).    If anyone can download the key, then what is the benefit of performing encryption if anyone can get the key and decrypt?  Am I missing some thing here?

Encryption on this device is still a major concern to me.  This issue may be low priority for most, but maybe some one can explain how this feature is really protecting my data from unauthorized access.  The scenario I see is that  if a person can login to the NAS, it appears that the encryption keys can simply be exported and used  to decrypt the drives.  To mount the drives on the NAS, a password my be needed, but anyone can export the encryption key(s) and decrypt the drives.