Encryption and media server?

I have several TB of data that I would like to have available on a media server (likely Plex). I also have a small amount of data that I want kept confidential in the event of NAS theft, etc. If I encrypt a volume on the PR series, can that volume still be used as a media server? If so, an 8tb PR2100 would likely meet my needs.

If media serving on an encrypted volume is not possible, is it possible to create two separate RAID-1 volumes on a PR4100, leave one unencrypted for media serving, and encrypt the 2nd one for sensitive information?

Lastly, if going with two separate volumes on a PR4100, can the two pairs of drives be of different sizes? While I would want two 8tb drives for media serving, I don’t have a lot of truly “confidential” files and it would be waste of space to devote two additional 8tb drives for a meager 500mb of confidential files. Using a pair of lower capacity drives for the encrypted volume would be more prudent.

Many thanks for your assistance in helping to sort of which device to purchase and the best way to configure it.

Hi KNelson,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.