Enabled subtitles still don´t work with iso

Enabled subtitles work fine with 1.02. Not with 1.03. Not with 1.04. Kind of annoying - have to help mother in law everytime she wants to see something. The subs are easy to find under “option”-button, but still kind of annoying. Enabled sybtitles have been around since VHS-cassettes in the 70´s. And like I said, it did work under 1.02.

Major improvement with auto resolution update. The 4-7 second delay both when starting and when using “back”-button when leaving the movie is acceptable - because it is more userfriendly for ordinary users like mother in law. Maybe faster respons in next update?

Looking forward to years with better and better wdtv.

No such thing as “Enabled Subtitles” in VHS…  All they had was Closed Captioning, and that is a whole different beast.

There is no auto resolution function.   There is only Auto Frame rate.   And the time it takes to switch is up to the TV more than it is the WDTV.

I guess you understand what I ment by “enabled subtitles in VHS” - that it works automatically. On wdtv it used to - now it doesn´t. 

And “Auto frame rate” is under “resolution” in the meny, so I guess it have something to do with resolution. Anyway, It´s now possible to play both european iso and BD without changing framerate. And that´s a major improvement, in my opinion.

I´ve tested on 2 new tv´s. Samsung led and LG led. Both have delays. I think this have a potential to be fixed at next update, instead of me bying new tv´s. But by all means, it is nothing urgent. I can live with it. 

tinuadmin wrote:

I´ve tested on 2 new tv´s. Samsung led and LG led. Both have delays. I think this have a potential to be fixed at next update, instead of me bying new tv´s. But by all means, it is nothing urgent. I can live with it. 

I suppose there is no way, the WD can force the tv to change  framerate faster than it is capable of …

Cocovanna

Like I wrote in another thread, on 1.04.22 subtitles in DVDs stored as ISO show up automatically.

That is simply not true. I don´t know why you keep on saying that? I have 2 wdtv in the house. Booth upgraded from 1.02. The last updated yesterday. Now subtitles have to be activated manually on both. I´ve been a user for a year. I know this topic. Both players have subs “enabled”. If you know how to adjust with update, so I don´t have to turn on manually, feel free to tell instead of saying it works. Cause it doesn´t. By the way. It works in 1 out of 25 cases, or so. With 1.02 it worked 100 % - all the time. And my iso´s all have subs working with 1.02 or with vlc on the pc.

Not true for you and now I know why: I apparently forgot to mention that on my DVD Shrink rips the default stream is set to on (but not to forced) via the SETSTN command instead of leaving the decision up to the player. D’uh!

So you’re right, from the 1.03.22 prebeta on, the LIVE does not automatically display subs from DVD ISOs ignoring what is selected under Settings > Video Settings > Subtitle Default. I have no idea if this is intentional or not but in the typical WD way also the support of the SETSTN command is botched. When this flag is set, the LIVE only honours it partially in that it always displays the first stream automatically despite the second stream being set to on. Argh!

I don´t know how you found out this - your technical skills are better than mine, no question about that. And I´m glad we found out. There have been others telling that it works, and in my frustration I bought another to find out if the first wdtv was damaged. So: How can we get WD to fix this? It´s the last tech problem for me. Now the Live is almost perfect.

Tech, 

So this was an option you MANUALLY set when ripping the DVDs? 

In other words, are “Stock” DVDs, or DVD’s riipped as a full clone enabled this way?  

Or yet in more words, even if this is fixed, most people who aren’t tweaking rip settings still won’t see subs by default, right?

Well, yes, I manually pick subtitles in DVDShrink or Pavtube or another program, I do prefer DVDShrink, because there I can choose as many subs I want. Mostly I pick 1 sub-file.

I will check tomorrow if a full clone will enable subs. I doubt that, will probably have to choose manually under “option”. So I guess people who aren´t tweaking rip settings still won´t see subs.

But all the same. Version 1.02. was perfect, witt subs enabled and working.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Or yet in more words, even if this is fixed, most people who aren’t tweaking rip settings still won’t see subs by default, right?

No. If WD fixes this and you have set Settings > Video Settings > Subtitle Default to on, people will see subs by default, even on stock DVDs that weren’t tweaked manually, that’s how it worked before the 1.03.22 prebeta.

In my experience (RC2) stock DVDs default to no special setting which means they are authored to let the DVD player decide whether to display a sub or not. Actually most standalones even override the authored settings, so if the DVD sets it to on (but not forced) a player set to off will not display them and vice versa. This includes DVDs manually tweaked with DVD Shrink’s re-author function (which simply sets the SETSTN command in the PGCs).

My guess is WD got carried away when finally adding DVD menu support in said prebeta so they forgot that a lot of people rip their DVDs movie only which means the previous behaviour should be restored or better yet any flags set during authoring (e.g. default audio/sub stream) should be honoured.

Images before 1.03.22 didn’t support DVD navigation.

So, if you play the files WITHOUT DVD nav enabled, does it still work?

I know we’re in the Live/Live Plus section, but just for information’s sake, this is the way my Gen1 behaves:  if the video file has the “Default” flag set for a particular Subtitle stream, then that subtitle stream shows, regardless of what the setting is in the WDTV HD’s settings.  I actually had to manually re-mux many .mkv files since a couple of my programs kept authoring with the first stream’s default set to “Yes” even though I didn’t want them defaulted, and I got sick of manually turning them back off in the player when the file was played.  If I’m following properly, this is the behaviour Techflaws would prefer for the Live/Live Plus.

And it’s a toss-up, depending on who you ask, which flag should take precedence – some think the file’s flags should always be honoured, regardless of the player’s settings (or there’d be no point in having flags in the file in the first place) like on my Gen1, while others think that the device settings should always be used to over-ride any file settings (or there’d be no point in being able to make the selection on the device).

All I can assume is that there’s probably a reason WD changed the behaviour of how it’s own setting is interpreted (as opposed to changing the behaviour accidentally).  My guess would be that all the people with illicit downloads that have the flag set to “Yes” were vocal in demanding that the device setting over-ride the file’s flags, either because they didn’t know they could re-mux/re-author the file or because they simply didn’t want to have to bother.  Now that their voice has been heard, the other side of the coin wants things changed back. :wink:

The best option, in my humble opinion, would be to have 3 choices in the WDTV settings:

• Always off (ignores file default)
  • Use file default
  • Always on (ignores file default)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

So, if you play the files WITHOUT DVD nav enabled, does it still work?

No, without DVD nav enabled it only works up to 1.02.21.

RoofingGuy wrote:

I know we’re in the Live/Live Plus section, but just for information’s sake, this is the way my Gen1 behaves:  if the video file has the “Default” flag set for a particular Subtitle stream, then that subtitle stream shows, regardless of what the setting is in the WDTV HD’s settings.  I actually had to manually re-mux many .mkv files since a couple of my programs kept authoring with the first stream’s default set to “Yes” even though I didn’t want them defaulted, and I got sick of manually turning them back off in the player when the file was played. 

MMh, I haven’t done an extensive comparison between MKV and ISO subtitle behaviour yet. I’m also not sure what difference (if any) it makes when a stream in MKVToolnix is set to default instead of yes.

Given my previous experience with WD’s way of fixing problems I’m still inclined to believe the changed behaviour isn’t intentional but an unexpected byproduct of the added support for DVD menus.

I also do prefer the player’s settings to override any authored settings. After all setting the player’s default to on is a conscious decision I make which means I do want to have subtitles so if my files have any they should be displayed. Of course it would be nice of WD to support any flags properly like the secondary audio/subtitle stream being selected instead of primary only.