Enable Network Shares on WD TV Live & Windows 7 & Vista 32-bit & 64-bit

Heheh…  No, I can’t explain it… :wink:   That’s one of those “Happy Mysteries!”   :smileyvery-happy:

Ah man I hate that when you cannot pinpoint what solve the problem… That’s mean you gone run into it again one of those day :frowning: Maybe some of you who have the notorius share problem could try the happy mysterie move and share the result with us in this forum. Thx

Do you have the tutorial in a format so that the information can be downloaded  & PRINTED?   Instructions would be easier to follow by following from a printed sheet than by trying to remember instructions on Youtube.

Best, Aaron

Hello all,

I have a Win Vista 32-bit PC and on my WD Live, I can see my computer in Media server but not in Network shares. I tried many of your suggestions but did not work. What’s the problem?

I tried all of the above and couldnt get results. Finally I did the following.

When it ask for a username and password, enter administrator for user and leave the password blank.

On my computer it didnt even have an administrator account. Go figure. Hope this helps people.

Please assist

How can I transfer data from my PC d-drive to WD TV live via network connectivity

ok here’s what you need to do. I’m going to give you step by step so you can take care of it. First on your computer, go to start, then control panel , there you’ll see Network and Internet and underneath it says choose homegroup and sharing options, click that, then click on change advanced sharing settings and make sure you turn on network discovery, turn on file and printer sharing, turn off public folder sharing, leave media streaming off, use 128 bit encryption, Turn off password protected sharing, Allow windows to manage homegroup and save changes and close window. Then on your D hard drive, make a new folder and name it whatever you want and put all your files that you want to share in that folder, then right click on that folder, go to share with, choose specific people, and if you see everyone click on that and click share but if you don’t see everyone then go to the drop down menu next to where it says add and select everyone and click share and do that to every folder that you want to share. power cycle your WDTV and you have to use it as a network share and not as a media server ok? and hopefuly you know what to do from here. Good luck

Adam70 wrote:

I had to learn the hard way because no one took the time to help me out but here it goes. 

Wow.  That’s harsh and rather accusatory.   At the time of this writing, you had only posted twice.   One was a rather difficult-to-follow summary of an issue late in an afternoon, and then only hours later, your own fix.      After that, what were you expecting?  You said you had fixed your own problem.

Adam70 wrote:

ok here’s what you need to do. I’m going to give you step by step so you can take care of it. I had to learn the hard way because no one took the time to help me out but here it goes. 

• *And how do you think the rest of us learn?

I apologize and you’re right, my post wasn’t here long enough to be answered and I know I solved my own problem soon after I posted. I was just a little frustrated because I had a problem with this networking issue with windows 7 for quite some time and I usually take care of my own problems without posting. Again I apologize for saying that I didn’t get any help here, it wasn’t right for me to say that. 

Hello everyone.  This is my first post so please excuse any rookie mistakes.  I have a WD TV Live Plus with the latest firmware and Windows 7 x86 32bit.  My WD TV live connects wirelessly while my Windows 7 PC is wired.  I can get the Media Server Option to work along with TV Versity however I can’t get the network shares to work.  I’ve watched the tutorial and followed it up with the registry hacks but still no go. When I click on network shares, it doesn’t give me any options. I have been able to get the WD TV Live Plus to find the macbook pro on the network through network shares but not the Windows7 machine.  

I’m willing to try any suggestions.  Thanks again.

This is how to find possible problems with the Master Browser on your network, which will affect when and what servers appear on your WDTV Network Shares.

On one of your PCs, open up a “Command” window.

(In Win Vista and Win7, click the Orb, and in the search box, type CMD. An icon will appear above the box that says cmd.exe. Click it, and a Command window will open.)

(In WinXP, Click START, then RUN…, and in the box, type CMD. A Command Window will open.)

In the command window, enter the command “net view,” like this:

C:\Users\Tony>net view
Server Name Remark

\BIGNAS1 Big Freakin’ NAS Server 1
\MARS
\NEPTUNE
\WDTVLIVE WDTV LIVE
The command completed successfully.

In my example, there are four active devices that Windows has discovered.

Now, for EACH of those, issue the command “nbtstat -a (name)” for example:

C:\Users\Tony>nbtstat -a bignas1

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.157] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status

BIGNAS1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <03> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
…__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered

So, we got lucky here, the FIRST system, BIGNAS1, indicates that it is the master browser, since it lists the name …__MSBROWSE__.

You need to find out WHICH system is your master browser. If none of these steps work as described, then the issue is likely on your PC itself, and that will require substantial additional troubleshooting.

I see in the tutorial youtube video that begins this thread, computerguy turns off media streaming in order to make network shares available over his network to the Live player.  I currently have media streaming enabled, and am able to use Windows Media Player 12  to “play to” the Live Player, but I’ve been unable to get the Live Player to see my network shares (although it does see the digital media libraries on my network and will play their contents through  the WD Live interface using the remote control).  None of this activity involves any passwords or user accounts.

Several  questions:

a) One of the fixes to  the account /password problem for accessing media shares seems to be to uninstall a portion of Windows Live.  In other spots, I’ve read this is unnecessary because the latest firmware for the WD Live Plus corrected this problem.  Is this still true?

b) What is the advantage, if  any, of accessing your media through network shares instead of having WMP 12 stream media content to the player?    Sort  of answering my own question, is the advantage that you can control your playback through your TV display vs. say, a laptop running WMP12?  My WD Live currently WILL access my digitial media libraries on the internet as I mentioned above.  So I can play music (my main interest) through the WD interface.  But I find the WMP12 interface much easier and  more flexible to use.  By instructing us to turnoff media sharing, it seems computerguy is saying, practically speaking, don’t use the Windows interface, instead use network shares and the  WD interface.  Do I interpret that correctly?

c) Anyone know why — in the computerguy tutorial — it’s important for the workgroup to be type “home” vs. type “work”?

I’m using a WDTV Live Hub and for some reason when I attempt to access my Network Shares, it doesn’t ask me for a password now, but once I click Network Shares the refresh button keeps coming up as if it found something, but it just keeps refreshing and I can’t get past it. Any suggestions?

DaSportzDude007 wrote:

I’m using a WDTV Live Hub and for some reason when I attempt to access my Network Shares, it doesn’t ask me for a password now, but once I click Network Shares the refresh button keeps coming up as if it found something, but it just keeps refreshing and I can’t get past it. Any suggestions?

Clear the network logon info for network shares in the menus. This will allow you to start again

I am unable to use Network Shares as well. I’m running WD TV Live with the latest firmware and trying to connect it to a PC running Windows 7 64bit. Things I’ve tried:

*Made sure all the folders have correct permissions.

*Re-created said permissions from scratch as per the tutorials posted here.

*Set the media player’s workgroup to that of my PC (and also tried setting both to WORKGROUP).

*Disabled media sharing (along with making sure all the other sharing settings are set like in that youtube tutorial)

*Made sure the PC is the master browser.

*Configured and disabled firewall (COMODO).

*Removed everything to do with Windows Live (incl. Essentials and Sign-In Assistant).

*Registry hack.

*All this mixed with plenty of rebooting of both devices.

I can use the media server option, but apparently mkv files will not play using that and that is something I am not willing to live with. I can see the device on my network.

Does anyone have any other ideas?