Empty Windows share folders

flhthemi wrote:

Nope no offence taken. Just felt a little stupid. :slight_smile:

You can uninstall Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center and Windows DVD Maker.

Control Panel

Programs, Uninstall A Program

Then on the left side there is a list of other options choose "Turn Windows Features On or Off

Open that and look for “Media Features” and Untick the ones you want removed

I’m at work right now.  I’ll try it tonight.  BTW  I dragged an ISO into one of the “empty” folders and the HUB did NOT see it either so it isn’t just VOBs.  I’m also going to try using a different network computer to act as my server.  My gut tells me that will work as I really don’t think the problem is with the HUB.  I could be wrong.

I did learn a new trick today, you may already be aware of it, but I was kinda suprised. If you have a DVD folder and want to use WMP to play the folder like a DVD you just use the file open command in WMP’s menu, go to the folder and tag all the .vob files. Boom! DVD menu and all!

flhthemi wrote:

I did learn a new trick today, you may already be aware of it, but I was kinda suprised. If you have a DVD folder and want to use WMP to play the folder like a DVD you just use the file open command in WMP’s menu, go to the folder and tag all the .vob files. Boom! DVD menu and all!

That’s an interesting workaround.  I resisted using W7 as long as possible and when I did I assumed that they would finally have the proper codec for DVD playback.  Wrong!!  I got the same error message as with XP telling me to go buy a codec.  Surprisingly they also recommended using the Video LAN player.  I wonder how the code writers got around the codec issue.

EDIT;  Well, still  no joy.  I shut off WMP and tried a different server but I still have empty folders.  I’m going to try one more thing before depositing this thing in the round file.  I can’t reflash the current firmware (I don’t think) so does anybody have a suggestion what to roll back to?

Yeah you can reflash the same firmware. BEFORE you copy the firmware to a USB stick edit the .ver file with notepad. There is a version number in it. Edit that number to one higher than what appears. Then copy all the files to the stick and put it in the Hub. Make sure the hub is set to find new firmware and it should pop up on the main screen at boot that there is new firmware. 

Full reset it before and after then set it up again just be safe. 

Don’t trash it yet, more help from more knowledgeable people should be on the way. 

flhthemi wrote:

Yeah you can reflash the same firmware. BEFORE you copy the firmware to a USB stick edit the .ver file with notepad. There is a version number in it. Edit that number to one higher than what appears. Then copy all the files to the stick and put it in the Hub. Make sure the hub is set to find new firmware and it should pop up on the main screen at boot that there is new firmware. 

Don’t trash it yet, more help from more knowledgeable people should be on the way. 

VERSION=‘3.12.13’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivehub.bi2’

This is the *.ver file.  Do you mean to change to ‘3.12.14’ ?

I’ll take a closer look at this in the morning to see if other stuff sticks out to me

but to try and sum it up

1. Initial problem - studdering VOB via samba shares

so switch to WMP

but can’t see the VOB’s

switch back to samba, now still can’t see VOB’s

tried Serviio (great program btw - I’ve run it for a few years on my server)

still no joy

sounds like your tried all sorts of other settings, and still can’t get it to work

Am I correct to this point ?

some thoughts

yes a media server could potentially solve studdering issues, but for VOB’s to studdering I think there’s something more going on

as for them not showing up

recommendations

1. disabled all that WMP stuff as suggested

2. disabled the hub’s media library function and clear it

3. reboot everything (router, WD, and PC)

if that doesn’t work, then

1. reset WD hub to factory defaults

and a side note, for windows codec problems, shark007 codec pack is pretty well recognized

http://shark007.net

anyways, like I said, I’ll take another read through this in the morning

KAD79 wrote:

I’ll take a closer look at this in the morning to see if other stuff sticks out to me

but to try and sum it up

1. Initial problem - studdering VOB via samba shares

so switch to WMP

but can’t see the VOB’s

switch back to samba, now still can’t see VOB’s

tried Serviio (great program btw - I’ve run it for a few years on my server)

still no joy

sounds like your tried all sorts of other settings, and still can’t get it to work

Am I correct to this point ?

some thoughts

yes a media server could potentially solve studdering issues, but for VOB’s to studdering I think there’s something more going on

as for them not showing up

recommendations

1. disabled all that WMP stuff as suggested
  1. disabled the hub’s media library function and clear it
  1. reboot everything (router, WD, and PC)

if that doesn’t work, then

1. reset WD hub to factory defaults

and a side note, for windows codec problems, shark007 codec pack is pretty well recognized

http://shark007.net

anyways, like I said, I’ll take another read through this in the morning

Yes, your assessment is correct to this point.  I have already toggled the HUB’s settings several times in every combination that seems logical.  I’m about to re-flash the current firmware then throw it away.  I gave up on SERVIIO because it doesn’t support subs with VOBs even if I got it working.

ram1009 wrote:

This is the *.ver file.  Do you mean to change to ‘3.12.14’ ?

That SHOULD work, but most would change the .12 to .13 (I think). But it should work. If it doesn’t the Hub just won’t see it as new firmware and you’ll know you need to change the 12 to 13. Pretty sure you need to do the editing while the file is on your PC then copy it to the USB stick. Better safe than sorry…

well, another read through here there’s one more thing that comes to mind

share permissions in windows

while not common, it is possible in windows to create a share named

exampe “share”

with sub folder “media”

normal sharing procedure, would be to share out “share” and set it’s permissions, which will include all sub folders and media

however it windows it is possible for sub folder to not inherit permissions/settings from the parent directory

recommend check that all sub folders an inheriting permissions from the folder above them

Why don´t you use DVDShrink and make iso for all DVD´s on your PC?

VOB files means structured files instead single movie file,

also you could rip DVD to single VOB file and rename it to mpeg and than it would be visible,

but again it brings more complications.

foetus wrote:

Why don´t you use DVDShrink and make iso for all DVD´s on your PC?

VOB files means structured files instead single movie file,

also you could rip DVD to single VOB file and rename it to mpeg and than it would be visible,

but again it brings more complications.

In the future I will RIP to ISO because it’more universally recognized however I’m not looking forward to converting my 100+ existing movies.  What program would I use to RIP to a single VOB?  BTW, why would you recommend an old program like DVD shrink instead of ImgBurn?  Also, at the moment my HUB is  failing to recognize an ISO I placed in an “empty” folder as a test so it isn’t just VOBs.

KAD79 wrote:

well, another read through here there’s one more thing that comes to mind

share permissions in windows

while not common, it is possible in windows to create a share named

exampe “share”

with sub folder “media”

normal sharing procedure, would be to share out “share” and set it’s permissions, which will include all sub folders and media

however it windows it is possible for sub folder to not inherit permissions/settings from the parent directory

recommend check that all sub folders an inheriting permissions from the folder above them

Permissions don’t seem to  matter.  At your suggestion I looked at the permissions of one of my VIDEO_TS folders and all folders above it up to the drive that IS visible to the HUB.  Only one level below the drive is visible.  I’ll wait a while for someone to have a brainstorm and then I’m going to re-flash.

Because it is free and working.

I use DVDFab when I need to extract full VOB file and I use TMPGenc to mux it to mpeg. But in this case you lose subtitles and both software are commercial software.

BTW, can you please stop using big bold red letters because it is annoying 

flhthemi wrote:

The HUB failed to find the amended firmware 3.13.13.

ram1009 wrote:

flhthemi wrote:

The HUB failed to find the amended firmware 3.13.13.

All I can say is I have done this more than once or twice and it always works for me and several others I have instructed on doing it. It is possible you may have made a simple mistake editing the ver file. The only other thing you should make sure the USB device is formatted fat32 not NTFS. 

ram1009 wrote:

What program would I use to RIP to a single VOB?  BTW, why would you recommend an old program like DVD shrink instead of ImgBurn?

DVD Shrink has an option under preferences where you can turn off splitting into 1GB files. And why not use an old program. AFAIK the DVD standard hasn’t changed in ages so Shrink will work as intended (and also does padding on ISOs).

Techflaws wrote:

ram1009 wrote:

What program would I use to RIP to a single VOB?  BTW, why would you recommend an old program like DVD shrink instead of ImgBurn?

DVD Shrink has an option under preferences where you can turn off splitting into 1GB files. And why not use an old program.   Because it hasn’t been updated in years and can’t decrypt current DVDs.   AFAIK the DVD standard hasn’t changed in ages so Shrink will work as intended (and also does padding on ISOs).  What is “padding”?

Well, I guess this is something of an announcement.  I believe I have found a satisfactory workaround.  Since my vanished movie files are on an external HDD I decided to try viewing the movies directly through the HUB’s USB port and that seems to be working OK.  The only down side so far is that ripping DVDs to that external HDD over my LAN is MUCH slower.  If that’s the worse thing that happens I can live with it.  So, the problem still exists but I don’t care.  I’m prety sure it’s a network issue with W7.  Maybe I’ll run into a guru who knows what’s wrong.  Thanks to all who tried to help.

Is there some way in Windows you can hide or make a seletion to NOT display files with a particular extension…like lets just say I don’t want to see any files that are .jpg, is there  a way to exclude them from being shown in explorer?

Maybe somehow this is what WMP did?? set them to be hidden?

Seems to me I remeber seeing the ability to do this at some point in my years of fooling with PCs…but my old senile mind just won’t let me remember :slight_smile:

Edit: Yup, you can…tho this may not be the answer to what’s going on here. It may provide some sort of insight…

=================================================

This will hide .nfo files using cmd.exe (MSDOS)

attrib +h *.nfo /s
The switch “/s” applies the command to all subfolders
just leave it out and only the folder you’re in is affected.

Here is the complete list of options:

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:] [path] filename] [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
/S Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
/D Process folders as well.

If you want the command only to be applied to certain subfolders…just move all subfolders that shouldn’t be touched to a different location (i.e the desktop), run the command and move them back.

==========================================================

This can also be done in Explorer by right clicking, properties, and selecting the Hidden tick box!

So now if you hid it, how do you see it to UNhide it? You use the Tools:Folder Options in Explorer to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Next question: Can the network be instructed to hide files/folders from all or from certain IPs (other PCs)?

flhthemi wrote:

Is there some way in Windows you can hide or make a seletion to NOT display files with a particular extension…like lets just say I don’t want to see any files that are .jpg, is there  a way to exclude them from being shown in explorer?

Maybe somehow this is what WMP did?? set them to be hidden?

Seems to me I remeber seeing the ability to do this at some point in my years of fooling with PCs…but my old senile mind just won’t let me remember :slight_smile:

Edit: Yup, you can…tho this may not be the answer to what’s going on here. It may provide some sort of insight…

=================================================

This will hide .nfo files using cmd.exe (MSDOS)

attrib +h *.nfo /s
The switch “/s” applies the command to all subfolders
just leave it out and only the folder you’re in is affected.

Here is the complete list of options:

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:] [path] filename] [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
/S Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
/D Process folders as well.

If you want the command only to be applied to certain subfolders…just move all subfolders that shouldn’t be touched to a different location (i.e the desktop), run the command and move them back.

==========================================================

This can also be done in Explorer by right clicking, properties, and selecting the Hidden tick box!

So now if you hid it, how do you see it to UNhide it? You use the Tools:Folder Options in Explorer to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Next question: Can the network be instructed to hide files/folders from all or from certain IPs (other PCs)?

You may be on the right track for me with your final question.  In my case it isn’t only the VOB files that are invisible but the folder structure below the root directory of the drive.  The drive is visible to the HUB as are the many folders/files in the root directory.  The problem is that the HUB reports the root directory folders as empty when actually there are (in most cases) at least two more layers of folders before the VOBs for individual movies.  So. good luck with your quest.