Elements goes "offline"

A 1Tb Elements just replaced a 1Tb MyPassport to get rid of SES/VCD stuff.

Twice now the Elements has seemed to go partially “offline”, e.g. it has two folders on it each with couple hundred gigs over 100-300 files. I click into the one folder and all seems well but click into the second folder and it seems to stall, never displaying the files and seeming to “use up” the drive so much that trying anything else fails, e.f. My Computer’s display, Properties etc.

If I “eject” the drive and then plug it back in the files immediately are displayed and all seems well. It’s like it went to sleep and doesn’t fully wake up with display of “first” folder coming from some “stash” and not from reading the drive itself where-as second folder requires reading drive and it doesn’t.

This typical of WD portables as I seem to remember MyPassport also did this once? Very disconcerting when competitors same style and size never seems to have this happen regardless of which is in what USB2 port.

Hello, it is possible that the Elements is not receiving enough energy to work correctly, be sure to connect the Elements using the USB cable that came bundled and avoid using USB extension cables or USB hubs. You can also try running a DLG test to discard any hardware problems. Check the link below for the steps. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows