El Capitan issues solved for me!

I posted this to a previous thread but thought it might also be valuable a a stand alone post.

After spending several hours with WD tech support, I seem to have stumbled on a solution to the many connection problems I was having with OSX El Capitan. My NAS was a brick since the last ‘308’ firmware update. Especially after I downloaded the v3 of the software to go with it. Additionally, and more importantly, I could not connect to the NAS as a shared drive with Finder. Really screwed up my backup process using Chronosync.

Process was not painless, but these things did work. Not sure all are needed in this order so beware-

1. Tech reset NAS using System Restore. Make sure you read and select the correct option. This DID NOT delete any of the data on the NAS. It did however remove all Users and set everything back to Public Access.

2. I had noticed during the call that there was a firmware update available. The tech insisted it was not for the MyCloud. So when the reboot to factory settings didn’t provide any access he said he was going to move my issue up to Level 2. Also, during the call he insisted that he had not heard of the issues I was having from any previous caller. (Seems he was under a BIG rock) We parted ways at that point.

3. Right after the call I was able to gain access to the NAS thru Safari using the v3 of the software. The screen also indicated that there indeed WAS an firmware update available. No amount of fiddling could make the NAS successfully initiate the DOWNLOAD of the necessary files. So I made the decision to wake at 3am to try again. Using my Safari on my iPhone to connect, going to Settings and selecting Manual Update did initiate and complete the process in a relatively short time.

4. Once downloaded and installed, I was again able to connect using the v3 software, but I did need to re-enter and set up Users that had been removed by the factory reset in #1 above. And as importantly, I needed to change each share from Public to Private. Then, I needed to grant appropriate access to each User I set up.

5. With the above complete, my testing so far (including using Finder) seems to have returned to ALL ACCESS that existed prior to the ‘308’ firmware debacle.

6. ALSO IMPORTANT (or not ymmv), I HAD UPDATE MY MAC TO OSX 10.11.1 prior to any of the above.

Hope this helps anyone else that was experiences issues with their NAS in recent weeks.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information.