I did a little XML editing over the weekend.
This was much needed - I’m not sure what some people were playing at with genre labelling - one of my horror films was listed as ‘Family’.
Not a one of my films noir was listed as such as its first genre (only the first genre applies when filtering).
Also, I wanted to apply my own genres, so for example I have a load of films formerly listed as ‘Horror’ now listed as ‘Hammer Horror’ or ‘Amicus Portmanteau’. I’ve also created a few of my own - I’ve listed all my James Bond films as ‘James Bond’ by genre.
I’ve also edited the titles of many, so ‘The Innocents’ is now ‘Innocents, The’ and my 'T’s aren’t clogged up. It’s been great for adding alternate titles - ‘A Matter of Life and Death’ is now ‘Matter of Life and Death, A (a.k.a. Stairway to Heaven - US Title)’.
Finally, I took a huge step and created my own file for Nicholas Nickleby (1947), which doesn’t appear at the OMDB, even under its alternate title. I took another XML file, changed the name, edited the information, etc, etc. It worked a treat!
What’s great is the sort & filter option. I can filter by genre and go to ‘James Bond’. I can then sort by date, so Dr. No comes first and Quantum of Solace at the end. Didn’t realise that I could do this.
I’m very pleased with the unit - very pleased indeed. Well done WD!