EasyStore fatal error / can't see all files

I backed up everything from my Dell laptop to a new Easystore portable backup in November. Now I want to retrieve a couple of files. At first, I could not see all my files. Five minutes later, I’m getting this: E is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.
What the heck happened?

Hi @Naomin,

Please refer to the article: External Drive Not Detected by Windows or macOS: Resolve External Drive Not Detected by Windows or macOS Guided Assist

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

This often occurs when the hard drive cannot longer be accessed by the operating system or when read and write operations cannot be performed on it.
Fix 1: Verify the Hard Drive Connection
Look for any loose cable connections. If so, forcefully re-enter them into the ports.
Fix 2: Check the SMART Status
Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology is referred to as SMART. You can establish whether a drive is damaged and the severity of the issue by looking at a drive’s SMART properties.
Fix 3: Check and Repair Bad Sectors
Unless they are dispersed throughout the hard drive, bad sectors are not as bad as you may imagine. The Windows DiskPart software is frequently used to inspect and fix file system corruption and bad sectors on hard drives. For the majority of hard disc accessibility concerns, it’s a useful tool and worth a try.
Fix 4: Update Disk Driver.
The fatal device hardware error may be brought on by an out-of-date driver for the malfunctioning storage device. As a result, upgrading the driver can resolve the problem.
Hope this helps!!