Easy Way To Force Re-Scan Of Media Library

Ive just upgraded my live to a hub, and it adds one of the features ive always wanted (only seeing folders with media in them, as i dont need to access my word docs and other ■■■■ on my server on my HUB).  Only problem is, I have a New Additions folder on the network that gets 90% of new additions (hence the name).  stuff usually goes here first, til i watch it, then i make a decision to move it to the genre folder, or delete it. only thing is i havent found an easy way to force it to re-scan for new media. I can turn the thing off for a little bit, delete something from one of the folders from the hub, do a restart from the menu.

It would be nice for the unit to do a qhick background scan of a folder when i browse to it.  it doesnt even appear to be on any type of schedule.

has anyone found a good thing for this other than turning off the media library function altogether?

Thanks

What I do, and it works 99% of the time, is that I change source of the videos in the WD TV Live Hub, normally switch to the local drives, after a minute, I switch back to network.

press the yellow button on the remote

oxter: Cant seem to get that to work for me at all. I switch from a net drive to the local and then back to the network (which is another WD box) and it doesn’t rescan. I have to reboot the hub by holding down the power button.

TravisZ: Not sure what changing the view is doing for you. For me it does not pick up any of the new media I have addded.

For the moment, hard booting is the only way I can get it to rescan.

-P

What about turning the media library off and then after a few turn it on again?

Today I added some Jean Harlow movies to my Hub. I’m using the latest version of the Mojo theme. The Hub was in standby mode while I copied the folder “Jean Harlow” to my “Movies” folder. It also included a folder.png file as well as all the other files needed by the theme for each movie. A total of 5 movies. I simply brought the Hub out of standby mode and after a moment it began compiling. Compiling ended in a few seconds and it was all there. The Jean Harlow folder displays the Folder.png just fine and all covers and backdrops look great.

When it dosen’t do it on it’s own, I power the Hub all the way down using the power button on the remote. Just keep it held down for a few seconds and the hub will power down, all the way down. Then just press the power button again and it should get the new data.

And yeah I know, .png’s aren’t SUPPOSED to display well. All my folder art is “Folder.png” and it looks fine to me.

cuernudo wrote:

What about turning the media library off and then after a few turn it on again?

I could be very wrong but I believe I had read on this forum that doing that rescanned the entire library (which would take hours+ in many cases) as opposed to just scanning the new additions which happens by rebooting the hub with the power button. I have been reluctant to try this due to the length of time it would take to rescan everything.

If i add 10-20 movies to a network drive, and then reboot the hub, it just takes a few minutes to add them to the media list. you can see the blinking WD light working away at it. When it stops, all is well.

-P

Why isn’t this automatic anymore? When I added files they used to be scanned automatically, but now I have to reboot the device? Is this just a bug? If so, it needs to be fixed immediately… 

cbaltzer wrote:

Why isn’t this automatic anymore? When I added files they used to be scanned automatically, but now I have to reboot the device? Is this just a bug? If so, it needs to be fixed immediately… 

• *It’s never been automatic for network sources.

Thie most recent firmware fixed this for me.

Thanks WD