Easy method to downgrade to previous version of the firmware

As you can see I mentioned .deb and not the .zip file, so yes, I unzipped the file.

What I have is My Cloud EX2.

I left the My Book connected to My Cloud over night and I can see the My Book share now and can browse the file on the My Book device.

The My Cloud EX2 Dashboard page is still inaccessible.

So is there a cure for this condition beside downgrading the firmware?

By the way, the device reports that it runs the lates firmware when checking for firmware updates.

Though everything looked normal, I tried to move files from My Book to My Cloud EX2 and My Cloud EX2 became unresponsive, so ufter all it was not ok.

This guide was written for the regular MyCloud device, not the EX2. I don’t know how these two devices differ, but perhaps you should flash the EX2 firmware back to its original?

The My Cloud EX2 forum is here.

I have already posted this in the OP’s first post, but…

Users, please be aware that making changes to your drive through SSH can void your warranty.  Moreover, downgrading may cause other issues with the drive.

If you’re not sure what to do, please contact support for further help.

@Bill_S

Ok, we understand and we already know that! But what we must do to not lose the warranty and still be able to use the cloud?

I see only one solution: Replace the cloud or take the money back!

JS

Have you contacted support about this, first.  If you need help with this, I can help out.

All I can say is that Level 2 support has known about this for more than 1 year.  They could never get my My Cloud to work with my My Book attached.  Never got a Safepoint to run and when the My Book was attached, the My Cloud would drop off the network.  Tried downgrading the firmware with no luck.  In the end, they swapped it out for a My Cloud Mirror.  More stable but still has issues backing up to the My Book.

I’m sorry, but I’m starting to get confused. I will look into the My Book issue.  Which My Book were you attempting to use?

What issue were you having, exactly?  I don’t want to get confused with different issues here.  If they are.

@Bill The reason I ended up on this thread was the original discussion I was having was how to get Safepoints to run.  I ended up here with the suggestion that reverting to v3.x would potentially solve that issue. It didn’t. My issues may have been bigger than just Safepoints. I had a 3TB My Cloud and a 3TB My Book.  When attempting to run a Safepoint, I could get to 200GB best case before the Safepoint would fail and the My Cloud would then become unresponsive to the Dashboard and Windows Explorer.  By the end, the My Cloud would become unresponsive as soon as I attached the My Book.  I suspect that there was some data on the My Book that the My Cloud was scanning that caused it to lock up or, at least, appear to lock up; however, I even tried reformatting the My Book and getting a new My Book…nothing helped.

@Bill_S

See: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Please-tell-me-what-really-I-bought/td-p/875138

JS

JScript wrote:

@Bill_S

See: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Please-tell-me-what-really-I-bought/td-p/875138

JS

You haven’t contacted support about this yet? 

Stealth57 wrote:

All I can say is that Level 2 support has known about this for more than 1 year.  They could never get my My Cloud to work with my My Book attached.  Never got a Safepoint to run and when the My Book was attached, the My Cloud would drop off the network.  Tried downgrading the firmware with no luck.  In the end, they swapped it out for a My Cloud Mirror.  More stable but still has issues backing up to the My Book.

I see that support has already been in contact with you. Unfortunately, there’s not much I can add.  However, I do know that we have been addressing the issue with Safepoint.  We’ve come out with fixes for it, but your issue may be different.  The problem with the My Book is something different and they are working on getting the fix out.  I don’t know the timeline though.

@Bill Yes, I have been working with Level 2 for some time and providing them data and remote sessions for troubleshooting (both on the My Cloud and My Cloud Mirror). I am sworn to secrecy regarding some of the possible issues regarding file types and scanning issues, so I am aware of what is being worked on (at least for the My Cloud Mirror that they swapped out for the My Cloud).  I have confirmed some of those issues and am waiting for any firmware updates and have offered to beta test if requested.

1 Like

@Bill_S

I live in Brazil, so unfortunately I do not know if there is support here!
In the store I bought, the technicians are equal like me as regards to knowledge…

However, your question refers to a doubt:
I need to contact support to correct errors in the Cloud?
So what is the purpose of this forum?

JS

Stealth57 wrote:

@Bill Yes, I have been working with Level 2 for some time and providing them data and remote sessions for troubleshooting (both on the My Cloud and My Cloud Mirror). I am sworn to secrecy regarding some of the possible issues regarding file types and scanning issues, so I am aware of what is being worked on (at least for the My Cloud Mirror that they swapped out for the My Cloud).  I have confirmed some of those issues and am waiting for any firmware updates and have offered to beta test if requested.

Okay, excellent.  I’m sure they will pull you in when beta testing.  Have you signed up for WD Crew? 

@Bill I don’t know what WD Crew is. : /

JScript wrote:

@Bill_S

I live in Brazil, so unfortunately I do not know if there is support here!
In the store I bought, the technicians are equal like me as regards to knowledge…

However, your question refers to a doubt:
I need to contact support to correct errors in the Cloud?
So what is the purpose of this forum?

JS

We do provide support for Brazil.  And, yes, support could help eliminate other possible reasons for the disconnect issue. 

The purpose of this forum is for users to connect with users.  It was never intended to be a tech support forum.  We have phone and email for that.  However, moderators do help as they can, and sometimes staff get on and help as well.  But that is not the norm.

Stealth57 wrote:

@Bill I don’t know what WD Crew is. : /

“Join the CREW” is a component on the forum page where you can sign up and join our beta program.

Help us make your ideal products

Let us know how to make our products meet your needs.

Join the CREW at crew.wdc.com

Help us by:

• Reviewing our products ideas.
  • Identifying your preferences.
  • Trying product user interfaces.
  • Participating in Beta programs.

Referral Code: WDCOMM