Dx4000 reporting incorrect disk space

Have been successfully using a DX4000 as a backup drive for our servers which use Backup Exec. Recently the backups started failing and i noticed the drive main drive on the DX4000 was almost full (which was strange)

Any way there was a huge 3TB file (backup should be 300Gb) so i deleted it but the drive still reported it was full. I went into storage manager in Win2008 and it showed it wasnt.

Quick google showed that a chkdsk can solve this issue so i ran it in windows and sure enough it went back to normal. I then rebooted the unit and set the backups running but again it showed no space left.

My next plan (rather stupidly) was to do a boot time chkdsk so i set one to run on the next boot. That was 14hrs ago and it is still “loading OS”…

Any one else tried this?

No, never done that.  But I think even if you power it off, it will start again (chkdsk), so I think you just have to wait it out

thanks - yes i did try powering it off this morning in the hope that it would cancel and it still “loading OS”. I guess i will leave it for another day and go back to tapes whilst it is out of business!

Cheers

I pondered plugging in a usb keyboard and pressing any key often while it boots.  But I think you are bettor off just waiting however long it takes.

its a shame there is no VGA port so you can see whats happening- i wonder if a USB graphics adapter would be recognised…

USB VGA has to boot to windows to load the drivers :frowning:

So no help at the black screen where you need it

Well it eventually kicked into life late last night so that was something of a relief!

However, as soon as i ran a back up all the space disappeared again (which caused backup exec to fail) and the drive is down to 500Gb (its a 5.5TB drive with approx 1.5 TB in use). Backup exec will only use 4096TB

I ran WINDIRSTAT and went through the options to show “unknown” and it shows a huge 2.9TB file at an “unknown” location and says its a .array file! Does yours show this?

This only started going wrong after the last DX4000 update last week. I have also turned of shadow copies on the d drive (which should probably have been turned off anyway!)

Thanks

I don’t see any .array files.  Search inet shows maybe java or php.  So how are you using BE.  Just mapped to a share or did the ISCSI in the new firmware cause a conflict with whatever target you are using?

Could you try a small/simple backup to the WD box just to see if it works in general?

Hi

We have backup to disk folders setup as media via BackupExec. I have just created a new one and that seemed to work fine but then a scheduled backup ran that i forgot to disable and the same disk problem occured again. Is there something i can disable for iscsi as we are not using it?

You can diable the iSCSI service if you remote desktop to the windows desktop and go to services and “Stop”, then “Disable” Starwind iSCSI Target service. Thread below says the same thing…That product is new, so I will not be surprised that it cause issues…

See this: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Sentinel-DX4000/New-Release-WD-Sentinel-Server-Recovery-ISO-and-Software-ver-1-5/m-p/527804/highlight/true#M1094 

Been on the road today.  What itpro said will disable/stop the service.  Though if you are only mapping to a share not sure if it will make any difference.

Let us know.

looks like the service is disabled by default. I did find that when you create a new share through the Essentials Dashboard it re-enables shadow copy though not that i think this will be a huge problem as the files are probably bigger than the cache

I applied a hole raft of essentials updates last night including the rollup package (160 odd mb)

Backups ran ok last night so fingers crossed :slight_smile:

itpro wrote:

You can diable the iSCSI service if you remote desktop to the windows desktop and go to services and “Stop”, then “Disable” Starwind iSCSI Target service. Thread below says the same thing…That product is new, so I will not be surprised that it cause issues…

See this: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Sentinel-DX4000/New-Release-WD-Sentinel-Server-Recovery-ISO-and-Software-ver-1-5/m-p/527804/highlight/true#M1094 

Google for StarWind. It’s not new, the software has 10+ year history. And it has nothing to do with misconfiguration (installing multiple services listening to the same iSCSI port, it’s pretty classic winner-takes-all situation when first run service grabs the port leaving others with nothing). Bing StarWind to the different port. Next update will check for present “alient” iSCSI software and ask either remove it or use other port by default.