DX4000 Recovery Failing

I have had a DX4000 for a few years now and it has basically been fine. For some reason the backup function wasn’t working and the file for remote connect wasn’t available either. No idea what happened there…

Anyway, I have followed the process of recovery and built the USB drive. It goes through the steps, I put the recovery USB drive in the back of the DX4000, pressed the reset button and powered it up. It boots to RECOVERY STARTED, I go back to the software and select options to do a full factory reset and don’t save any data. It starts the format process and runs for days.

After a few days, it gives me a ‘recovery failed’ message with no detail and tells me to follow directions and restart the process or ask my administrator. I have attempted this 4 times. It is currently running again but this time I tried a different USB drive. The other one seems to boot up fine but I thought I would try a different one based on some posts that I have seen.

Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts on resolution? The screen on the DX4000 says Initializing OK…SEARCHING…when the failure message shows up on the software.

Thanks!
Ross

First you need to verify that you have a good download with the MD5 hash
Second I would do a diskpart clean on all the drives from a pc
Do the middle step recreate storage and check the log file on the thumb drive
Then do the recover. Recovery should take less than 5 hours

Thanks, Gramps. I need some clarification.

1. is there a best tool to do the MD5 hash verification? I used FCIV.EXE from Microsoft and got a 32031f2454d3510d7ce2bf5891f7d25d value but no other original reference.
  2. I assume you mean take the disks out and connect them one at a time to a PC and delete all partitions, hidden or not. Correct?
  3. Okay on the recreate storage. Is this a necessary step in the normal process? I have not been doing it.
  4. Roger that, thanks.

Ross

Panam is the only has we have that we know is good. Looks like your is okay
diskpart clean will get everything including the raid config
normally with a working box you do not need recreate but when it fails after 5 days it sounds like the issue

Verify your download

C:\Users\Budro\Downloads\PANAM_SvrRecovery_1_7_6_21_.iso:
Verified: Unsigned
File date: 1:53 AM 1/14/2017
MD5: 32031F2454D3510D7CE2BF5891F7D25D
SHA1: EF0E132813182B2202A5FF54180C840BEE44F59E
SHA256: 6D511FC43FEFBC088E6A069397539B575AA6E81067D0A5BC81E1FEF12CDCD1B1

Thanks again. The 4 3TB disks were already clean without any partitions when I used diskpart.

I think the missing steps was the drive creation. It looks like it is working now that the drive creation occurred.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ross

Good deal, let us know how it goes.

All done and good to go. The recovery stage only took about an hour and the initial configuration of the server took a few more but it works like a champ now.

Thanks much,
Ross