DX4000 can't configure email alerts (worked one time)

I tried to set up email alerts. It was pre-filled with WD info (user, smtp, etc.). I clicked on send email and nothing happened. I changed the info to my server/domain. It didn’t work (I get pop up msg at least). I tried my personal domain and gmail and neither of those work. Then about 30 minutes later I got the alert that was sent using the WD login info. Of course, now that I’ve changed all of that I have no way to re-enter the default stuff, because I don’t know what it originally was.

I have noticed that every time I change the password (or blank it out) the “password mask” (******) keeps popping back in with the same number of characters. My suspicion is that it is somehow caching the original default wd password and therefore any new password is ignored as soon as I click OK.

Example: if I click the link to change smtp settings the password box will show eight chars ********. If I change it to something like WD123 then it will show five chars *****, but as soon as I click OK and then come back into that screen it has defaulted back to eight characters. Hence my reason for thinking it’s not actually changing or updating the password from the original.

I’ve tried every combination of username/ports, etc. I can think of for smtp settings for work domain (in house server on same network as dx4000, my personal domain hosted by netsol, and gmail. None of which work…

Any ideas? I found some reset instructions for a different model but didn’t feel comfortable about restoring various objects without model specific instructions in hand.

TIA.

Any help
Scroll down and it has a list of smtp settings

Thanks. Already looked at that list, tho.

However, I did notice this “Every thirty minutes, the Alert Email Evaluation task runs on the server, which evaluates the network for alerts. An email notification is sent out if any alert that is set for email notification occurs” which would explain why I probably didn’t get the initial email right away.

Oh well, it’s not mission critical to get alerts since the backup program will narc on the NAS if it doesn’t play nice, but it would be convenient to know of potential problems before something fails (like the case fan did this week). The NAS server software is 2008 so it may be some kind of compatibility issue.