Dvd menus & thumbnails

Just finished loading up over 250 DVD Images on my WD USB Drive only to find, when I hooked it up to my WD Live HD Box ,there were no menu, description or thumbnail features available.  Since it takes up to 30 minutes per disk to copy and add the necessary jpgs, you can imagine the shock when it came to navigating through all of my titles and missing the features that competing units on the market have for less money. 

I just figured that since I paid top dollar for the WD Live, it had to have more features than the competition. 

HEY WESTERN DIGITAL!

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO ANTE UP AND GIVE THE BUYER WHAT THEY PAID FOR?

That is the reason my 1 day old unit is being mailed back for a refund.  So I ordered a Asus O!Play whitch does support DVD menu & chapters.  Like you I have several hundred DVDs on a NAS (tired of looking for and changing disc).

To be fair to WD they never promised  DVD Menus and it is not mentioned in the spec.  However it is the top idea and therefore Menus may appear in a future firmware update.

i’ve read quite a few replies to queries, stating that if you name your jpg “Folder.jpg” or give it “the name of the folder”.jpg then the tv live will display the thumbnails - are these people making it up? i’ve tried changing the size of my jpg’s, various naming conventions - I’ve even tried shortening all the filenames. Maybe I’m better off just enjoying my movies until WD update the f/w & make it clear how to do this.

WHS_User wrote:

i’ve read quite a few replies to queries, stating that if you name your jpg “Folder.jpg” or give it “the name of the folder”.jpg then the tv live will display the thumbnails - are these people making it up? i’ve tried changing the size of my jpg’s, various naming conventions - I’ve even tried shortening all the filenames. Maybe I’m better off just enjoying my movies until WD update the f/w & make it clear how to do this.

no we’re not making it up.  folder and iso images work fine.  keep them under 70kb, name them exacty the same as the image file, works fine with my live.

Folder.jpg works fine for me.  Rip a dvd to a folder, stick a jpeg of the cover art or poster in there with the VOBs, name the jpeg “Folder.jpg”, and rock’n’roll.

But why go halfway.  If you convert that folder full of VOBs (which look fugly when you look inside the folder), convert it to an MKV file – one file with subtitles, chapter support, and no loss of quality. Then you can put multiple movies in one folder.  In that case, name the jpeg to be an exact match of the MKV file (e.g, “The Blind Side.jpg” for the cover art and “The Blind Side.mkv” for the movie), and the results are clean-looking.

Face it, you are not going to burn DVD clones of 99.9% of the movies you rip, so why mess with all those ludicrous VOBs?

ras01ny wrote:

I just figured that since I paid top dollar for the WD Live, it had to have more features than the competition.

So you paid top dollar for a feature based on your “figuring” instead of device specs? Smart move.

djeaux wrote:

so why mess with all those ludicrous VOBs?

Cause idx/sub inside MKVs are messed up as opposed to those inside VOBs?