DVD folder issues

I ripped all my DVDs to a USB drive. Wd lives media library notices some of the folders as a video file but others it puts in another folder. The only issue this causes is it makes the sorting a mess. How can I fix this issue?

Really weird behaviour, convert them to ISOs as a workaround.

Thought of that but I’ve got around 400 DVDs in folder content. Was hoping for a better option. Thnx for the input.

Well, with 2 HDDs you could batch convert. Dunno if LUK finally has automated adding layer breaks with ImgBurn in the meantime, though.

I came across this problem as I am currently putting my burnt DvD’s back onto some MyBookLIve drives and using the Media Library function on the WD TV live.

Since I ripped my DvD’s then burnt them to disc they are in VOB files with the folder structure example of

D:/SUPERMAN/VIDEO_TS/(vob files here)

Now back on NAS drive I removed the VIDEO_TS folder and the VOB files sit in the single MOVIE folder for each title.

MBL:/MOVIES/SUPERMAN/(vob files here)

MBL:/MOVIES/BATMAN/(vob files here)

etc etc So check you don’t have a folder in a folder then movie files.

Then the other thing that I noticed was the way my folders were named for example a folder named BATMAN (single word titles) would show as a movie icon but something like BATMAN_AND_ROBIN will treat is as a folder but if I renamed it to Batman and Robin then went back out a folder level and rescanned that folder it would eventually become a movie icon and the content info would show up.

Renaming the folders and even deleting the .xml .metathumb .backdrop folder then rescanning seems to be working slowly. I am very new to this and have no idea how to edit the .metathumb file yet which probably has the answers I need but I have been able to use an XML editor to change the thumbnail if it picks a foreign cover or rename the title the way I want it to read, even changed a trailer link that wouldn’t play due to HD mode and changed it to another website with less quality.

Let me know how renaming folders goes for you.

Zayle wrote:
Now back on NAS drive I removed the VIDEO_TS folder and the VOB files sit in the single MOVIE folder for each title.

MBL:/MOVIES/SUPERMAN/(vob files here)

So check you don’t have a folder in a folder then movie files.

Mmh, that should result in breaks during playback when a new VOB is loaded. Since day one of the original WDTV having files in a VIDEO_TS folders was necessary for consecutive playback.

You would think that could be an issue but I use the Media library function to play the movie from start to finish there is no break at all in the playback.

Even watching the start of a vob file just to see where the join is you would never notice where it was during normal playback.

Zayle wrote:

You would think that could be an issue but I use the Media library function to play the movie from start to finish there is no break at all in the playback.

Even watching the start of a vob file just to see where the join is you would never notice where it was during normal playback.

Unfortunately you also lose chapters as it is now not recognized as a DVD and plays in normal video mode.

richUK wrote:

Unfortunately you also lose chapters as it is now not recognized as a DVD and plays in normal video mode.

If you go to Setup/Video Settings and turn DvD Menu on you still have chapter functions and can jump to the title menu at any time through the options button.

I personally have that switched off because most of my early rips were of the whole dvd with the main movie plus any extras and when I hit play I like it to go straight to the movie now without having to go thru the dvd menu structures.

Back to original topic about renaming folders as I am still only begun to put my ripped movies from dvd back onto hard drives I have found some folders still going back to showing the folder view and not the straight out content info.

I have searched for something that edits metathumb files or view and edit the  .cas2 file as I really want to see why these titles are becoming a folder or a movie icon and making sorting impossible.

Zayle wrote:

richUK wrote:

If you go to Setup/Video Settings and turn DvD Menu on you still have chapter functions and can jump to the title menu at any time through the options button.

I personally have that switched off because most of my early rips were of the whole dvd with the main movie plus any extras and when I hit play I like it to go straight to the movie now without having to go thru the dvd menu structures.

Are you saying that you have DVD Vobs in a directory which is not labeled VIDEO_TS and you get chapter and menu support with the DVD setting turned on. Try it before you answer.

richUK wrote:

Are you saying that you have DVD Vobs in a directory which is not labeled VIDEO_TS and you get chapter and menu support with the DVD setting turned on. Try it before you answer.

OK seems I have misled myself since I owned the WD TV Live and recently went to purchase another and found it was discontinued and the newer model was out so I have 2 of these and appears it is actually called the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player which makes this forum incorrect for the posts I have made.

But as previously stated it will play chapters and menu functions with the “DvD Menu” function turned on and in base folder not in VIDEO_TS for the WD TV LIVE SMP using the MEDIA LIBRARY function as the WD TV Live does not have this DVD Menu setting available.

I still own the WD TV Live and it will also support chapters without a VIDEO_TS folder. Put the Dvd vob files into a base folder and go into that and play the first vob file then hit next and it will go to the next chapter or hit options and you will have a MENU option available. If you play the movie from outside the folder then you dont have these options available even if they are in a VIDEO_TS folder or not.

I state that I only used the NETWORK SHARES to play these dvd’s so if you are refering to the media steaming part of the unit won’t support chapters then I cant comment as I never used that function.

Actually the WDTV Live (gen 2) has DVD menu support since beta 1.03.22 and the WDTV LIVE SMP (gen3) since 1.0. In both cases the media library is irrelevant but you only get consecutive play (no short breaks when the next VOB is played) with files placed inside VIDEO_TS folders.