Duplicate files created after latest my cloud January firmware release

Another question is? Why did they switch from a real version of Debian to the mini version of Debian with busybox? Generally the reason for this is space. The busybox version is a lot smaller.

RAC

THIS IS THE RESPONSE RECEIVED TODAY FROM WD SUPPORT - IT APPEARS THAT I NEED TO START ALL OVER AGAIN, COS I THOUGHT I LAID IT ALL OUT STEP BY STEP IN THIS FORUM: OR AT LEAST I THOUGH THAT EVERYONE UNDERSTOOD MY PROBLEM.

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Support my name is XXXX and I am one of the WD Support Agents.

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us in regards to the issue with the item.

I apologize for the inconvenient, but actually, from the description, I cannot understand the issue with your device.

Can you please specify step by step all the issue, from when did it start on your device, if you modify some configuration?

More, can you please send me a screenshot of the desktop to better check it?

Waiting for your answer,

Sincerely,
XXXX

Did you provide a link to this thread when you contacted WD Support?

Please note that this is primarily a user to user support forum. As such chances are low/slim that WD Support is actively trolling this subforum looking to help people or that they can link your contacting them to a specific name or thread in this subforum.

I didn’t need to provide a link, as you can see from the comment above, someone from WD did trawl the forum and identified my posting and referred it to WD support. User forums are great for discussion, tips, and to save WD dealing with questions already answered elsewhere … but when WD release new firmware that has bugs due to inefective pre-release testing, there should be a direct route to report these to WD. Anyway all the info is here that WD need, and it would have been better for tech support to read it here rather than ask for it all over again.

Anyway, thanks to Hamlet for picking it up, even though it seems to be a back door approach.

Rickys, Have you gotten a reply/fix for this? I am having the same problem. See screenshot below…

Bill (WRH)

Per one of the links posted above there is a workaround of sorts to this issue for some people.

https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-firmware-release-04-04-02-105-1-27-2016/148441/69

Thanks for the reply Bennor. I really do appreciate you looking at my problem. However,… I’m not really looking for “a workaround of sorts”. I’m looking for a definite fix from WD. I have 15,000+ pictures on MyCloud and if I accidently lost them my wife would probably find a place in the curb to sleep! Do you know if WD is working on the problem? As far as I can tell most of my duplicate shares have no files in them. I can’t even get into them… Really looking for some solid help here before I make a mistake…

Bottom line is there is NO official fix from WD nor anything other than a possible acknowledgments of an issue, as of now. Perhaps if one calls Tech Support they’ll get an official answer but here on this mostly user to user support forum there are only workarounds to the various issues that are found with the firmware.

As the threads above explain they are not duplicates of folders or files, what they are is the firmware incorrectly naming the Share for the attached USB hard drive then failing to remove that Share name when My Cloud is rebooted/restarted or the external USB hard drive being disconnected then reconnected. The solution, workaround or what ever you want to call it is to figure out which one of those Shares currently contains the files, then use the My Cloud Dashboard to remove the other Shares (“HenicyStuff”, “HenicyStuff_2”, “HenicyStuff_3”, “HenicyStuff_4”, etc) that are empty, then use the Dashboard to rename the remaining Share back to “HenicyStuff” (in your case).

The other possible workaround (that worked for me) was to do a System Only Restore via the Dashboard > Settings > Utilities > System Factory Restore > Factory Restore > System Only. After doing that I rarely get the duplicating Share names for external USB hard drive. I still get them from time to time just not every single time the device was rebooted/restarted or the drive removed and reattached. YMMV

the latest file created contains the date / files, for me at least. I am accessing dashboard through google chrome via http://(MyCloudName), but I cannot see how to delete or rename files from those menus Bennor. The black shortcut I have for the black dashboard doesn’t seem to work much of the time, but are the two the same?

A fix I don’t have yet WRH, but every couple of days I get an email saying that it has been escalated / they are working on it / asking questions / asking for sytem log files (that I sent a couple of weeks ago).

I should point out that I am not using the auxilary drives nor the My Cloud 4TB drives for Safepoint, purely as additional storage.

I will copy any solution I get here, if one ever arrives, but I suspect that as this happened immediately after the January firmware update, that any permanent solution will come in the form of another firmware update … and hence it may be a long wait. I would settle for a temporary solution right now as I cannot open / amend / delete any duplicated files, and the list just gets longer.

Generally when using the Dashboard, one can rename or delete Shares through the Shares page. Note the screen capture (from Chrome on a Win 7 PC) below is from a My Cloud running v04.04.02-105 firmware.

Yes the solution will have to come from WD in the form of a firmware update and yes this problem started with the v04.04.02-105 firmware released on January 27, 2016. All we can hope for, as always, is they fix this issue and not introduce others in the process. Unfortunately my experience with working with WD Support and sending them logs wasn’t a good one when trying to fix a USB issue I was having with one particular external USB hard drive. Never heard back from them with ideas or solutions, they only asked for logs. I fixed my problem by repartitioning and reformatting that particular external USB hard drive (a Toshiba).

Brilliant Bennor, thanks so much. At least now I have a workaround and don’t have to plough through a list every time to find my files.

I actually posted this problem to a different thread because I didn’t spot the title as my issue. I guess we’ll have to wait for WD. Understanding that I could just remove the unworking shares was a reasonable workaround.

Thanks to all
Staci

Latest update today from WD, just a standard letter I guess

Dear Mr./Mrs.XXXXXXX,

We apologize about the delay and I remind you that your case will be processed as soon as possible.

If you think that the device could be damaged, I suggest you to create a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) following the instructions within the link below:

WD strives to exceed customer’s expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support, please click here or copy and paste the link below in your browser.

[[Case-specific Link deleted]]

Sincerely,
Western Digital Service and Support

NOTE TO WD : CUSTOMER EXPECTATION NOT YET EXCEEDED

Latest communication received today, I think this is the third one like this, but each time with a different persons name. My response at the bottom.

Dear XXXXXX,

Our technical resolution team is unable to open the system logs, they seem to be corrupted - can you please recreate and send us the logs?

Also, we would kindly like to ask you to take screenshots of the error and send us these so we can analyse your case in detail.

Sincerely,
NAME REMOVED TO PROTECT THE GUILTY (WD SUPPORT)
Western Digital Service and Support

WD strives to exceed customer’s expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support, please click here or copy and paste the link below in your browser.

My reply :

you gotta be kidding me, I sent everything weeks ago and it is all detailed on the WD community Forum.

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM THAT JUST I HAVE, IT IS A PROBLEM THAT YOUR FIRMWARE UPDATE IN JANUARY CREATED FOR ALL WD MY CLOUD USERS

Also mentioned here

I mentioned this back in early February and while I’m unhappy more users have discovered this, I’m also happy that it confirms there is nothing wrong with my setup.

A little surprised that WD have not acknowledged this problem yet - for me it’s a pain in the backside

WD don’t acknowledge problems.

Latest emails :

From WD : Our technical resolution team is unable to open the system logs, they seem to be corrupted - can you please recreate and send us the logs?

Also, we would kindly like to ask you to take screenshots of the error and send us these so we can analyse your case in detail.

My Reply : But do you not have equipment there to replicate the problem? Google
mail policy will not allow me to send the log files, and yahoo mail
will not allow me to send such large files. If you can provide another
way to send the file, ftp transfer perhaps, maybe I can help.

From WD today : Thank you for your email and apologies for the long delay. I’m sorry but we can not replicate the issue because we need the logs of your device.

I also regret that we only accept attachments via email.

If you are able to send the log our technicians can analyze your device better.

Hard to believe I know. Can anyone else having the same problems send their system log file to WD, otherwise this will never get resolved. Thanks in anticipation

You could post the log files to your My Cloud in a public folder, then enable Remote Access on that My Cloud. Then, using either one of the WD programs/apps or the MyCloud.com web portal, email the link to the log file to WD for them to download. That way you don’t have to actually email an attached file that gets blocked due to email attachment size restrictions.

Have you sent them a screenshot(s) of the error?

Odd; they told me I could use FTP, when I pointed out that it was pretty stupid for their diagnostic report generator to create reports so big that their email system wouldn’t accept them…

The reports are zip files, and you can open them up and delete the huge .wdmc thumbnails.

[edit]

Here’s the advice I was given on how to reduce the size of the log file:

If the zip file with logs is bigger than 5MB, it will not get through to our system, so please unzip it, delete everything in systemLog_PRODUCT SERIAL NUMBER_xxxxxxxxxx\current_config\shares\ and zip it again.