DTS in .mkv nuked after upgrading to firmware 1.04.10

Hi,

I see there are a few similar threads and have tried many of the supplied fixes, but all to no avail.

As i had trouble with DTS in the past i mux all DTS with mkvmergeGUI and set compression to ‘none’ 

Muxed files would then play fine, with the WD set to ‘Digital’

Problem is, i was on 1.02.21 and for some unknown reason, tonight went to 1.04.10.

In doing so, my DTS files no longer play unless WD is set to ‘Stereo’ 

I rolled back with  http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

However, after the rollback previous files still no longer play audio when WD is set to digital.

Please help.

Setup:
TV-  http://www.regza-asia.com/collection/ZV600_42.asp
Receiver –  http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?productID=7698

Connections:
TV to receiver is via both HDMI and Digital Audio cables.
WDTV Live to TV is via HDMI (also have another Digital Audio cable from WDTV into the receiver but it appears to make no difference whether connected or not)

A couple of points, you say that you have tried the fixes but what fixes?

You also say that you were on 1.02.21 but for some unknown reason you went to 1.04.10, thats because you or somebody in your house pressed a button twice to accept the new firmware.

Anyway, have you tried:

resetting via the side paperclip button with unit swiched on, it should reboot.

resetting to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplugging the unit for some minutes (not seconds)

do all 3 things one after the other before using the unit again.

Thank’s Rich, but by ‘fixes’ i guess meant the obvious things such as - rolling back firmware, resetting via paperclip, resetting to factory defaults (3 times) and unplugging for at least 1 hour.

none of which brought me back to my original status of being:

(1) happy with the unit.

(2) able to use DTS audio files.

you are correct, i only have myself to blame for pressing said button twice to accept the new firmware.

the reason i did this is still unknown to me though.

rexstaffy wrote:

Hi,

I see there are a few similar threads and have tried many of the supplied fixes, but all to no avail.

As i had trouble with DTS in the past i mux all DTS with mkvmergeGUI and set compression to ‘none’ 

Muxed files would then play fine, with the WD set to ‘Digital’

Problem is, i was on 1.02.21 and for some unknown reason, tonight went to 1.04.10.

In doing so, my DTS files no longer play unless WD is set to ‘Stereo’ 

I rolled back with  http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

However, after the rollback previous files still no longer play audio when WD is set to digital.

Please help.

Setup:
TV-  http://www.regza-asia.com/collection/ZV600_42.asp
Receiver –  http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?productID=7698

Connections:
TV to receiver is via both HDMI and Digital Audio cables.
WDTV Live to TV is via HDMI (also have another Digital Audio cable from WDTV into the receiver but it appears to make no difference whether connected or not)

I do not understand your connection setup.

There seems to be an issue with DTS with certain users.

Your TV does not decode DTS (and so is my Sony Bravia).  With my setup, when I connect WD to Sony it never played DTS with any firmware unless I switch to Stereo.  However, I connect WD to AVR via HDMI which works fine.

Anyway, what receiver do you have?  Does it decode 5.1 DTS?  Does it decode HDMI audio?  When you connect WD to AVR via optical, there is no audio with DTS?

Thanks Lunar… but i have no idea what you’re trying to say other than the fact that your Bravia doesnt decode DTS :neutral_face:.

You asked about what receiver i have, i provided a link in the OP. May be you’d like to re-read the OP?

~shrugs~

What Lunar is saying is that, according to your connection map, your TV MUST support DTS passthrough, and that’s very rare…    In fact, it’s no mentioned anywhere in the manual 

In fact, the manual on page 32 says:

This TV is only operable with L-PCM on 32/44.1/48 kHz and 16/20/24 bits.

The WDTV does NOT send DTS as LPCM, unless you set STEREO MODE, then it sends two-channel LPCM which your TV will passthrough or decode.

My understanding of the ‘ins and outs’ with hardware capabilities/requirements is limited.

My original questions still stand though.

Why did the capability to play DTS suddenly disappear straight after the firmware upgrade, and exactly why can’t i get it back to where it was?

Don’t know exactly what type of audio the setup was giving me prior to upgrade, but it sounded a lot better than it does with the WD set to Stereo. Am i somehow mistaken? 

I have tried mapping the setup as many ways as i could think of… are you able to suggest a solution?

Nope…  If ROLLBACK didn’t take care of it (and I cannot imagine why it wouldn’t) then I don’t know what to tell you.  I can’t see how your TV EVER sent DTS to your receiver, given the specs of the TV itself…  But, stranger things have happened…  

Well thanks anyway Tony.

Prior to muxing the .mkv’s with DTS in mkvmerge, they would not play any audio with the WD set to Digital, only Stereo.

After muxing (compression set to none), they would play through fine with WD set to Digital…surely this means something.

What puzzles me is how 1.04.10 changed this and why rollback hasn’t made things right again.?

Argh.

rexstaffy wrote:

Thanks Lunar… but i have no idea what you’re trying to say other than the fact that your Bravia doesnt decode DTS :neutral_face:.

You asked about what receiver i have, i provided a link in the OP. May be you’d like to re-read the OP?

~shrugs~

I see now - you have a Panasonic BD player with HDMI out with unit allowing for two optical inputs.

Did you try connecting the WD unit to the Panasonic on Optical input 2?  If no sound, did you try changing settings to allow for PCM?

Users reported problems with DTS - maybe in older firmwares the WD unit was ‘informed’ from TV through HDMI handshake that DTS is not supported so the WD unit automatically switched to Stereo?  I do not know!

Your TV does not support DTS decoding.  In most cases anyway, DTS audio, when WD unit is connected to TV, was played as Stereo.  The difference now from what you say, is that the user should set it to Stereo manually.

Also, did you do a hard reset then a soft reset (default to factory settings) then unplug unit for 5-10 minutes, then try again!

Maybe with this DTS issue,  it is something that WD should look at!

Just to clarify, yes i set the receiver to optical input 2. I also played with all the settings ‘PCM’ and ‘Bitstream’ related on both the TV and Receiver…meh

I have the same problem.

I own a Sony Bravia 46EX400 and i have my wdtv live hd connected to it via HDMI. I then use optical out from the TV my DTS receiver.

While I was on firmware 1.02.21 the DTS worked and would be passed through to the receiver and the receiver showed it being DTS. This was using the digital out setting.

When I upgraded the firmware to 1.03.49 and even 1.04.10 my setup would no longer passthrough the DTS audion to my receiver. AC3 Audio works though. Using the Stereo setting on the wdtv live also worked.

I also tried a bunch of beta releases to see when this was broken and they all didn’t work. I think I went back to 1.03.35B.

I had to revert back to firmware 1.02.21 to get everything back to normal. I’m going to try and update the firmware on my tv but I have a feeling that it will not work.

This is a bummer because all I needed/wanted from the update was the mkv compressed header fix. Right now I’m still stuck remuxing my mkv’s.

I hope that WD can fix this issue.

The original poster should go back to 1.02.21, instead of the limited public release, using the instructions here: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800 and it should go back to the way it was.

mdumont1 wrote:

Right now I’m still stuck remuxing my mkv’s.

So you’re not getting good value for the money from the scene groups? Perhaps you could ask them for a refund on your “bad” .mkv files.

RoofingGuy wrote:

mdumont1 wrote:

Right now I’m still stuck remuxing my mkv’s.

So you’re not getting good value for the money from the scene groups? Perhaps you could ask them for a refund on your “bad” .mkv files.

How very nice of you to chip in such a valuable answer for my problem.

It’s nobody’s fault but your own that you have issues with your pirate downloads.  If you were encoding stuff legally yourself, you wouldn’t keep running into the compressed header issue.

So, I see 3 choices… you could:

• Stop downloading infringing material
  • run a batch script like MKVFix to search for and automatically re-mux any files you’ve stolen with compression in the headers
  • sit and p*ss and moan about how much “work” it is to have to re-mux the stolen files one by one manually

Come on.  If you can find the movies and download them, it isn’t killing you to have to take a couple of seconds to “fix” them yourself.

Other than the illegal activity, I’m not really seeing the “problem” to which you refer.

RoofingGuy wrote:

It’s nobody’s fault but your own that you have issues with your pirate downloads.  If you were encoding stuff legally yourself, you wouldn’t keep running into the compressed header issue.

So, I see 3 choices… you could:

• Stop downloading infringing material
  • run a batch script like MKVFix to search for and automatically re-mux any files you’ve stolen with compression in the headers
  • sit and p*ss and moan about how much “work” it is to have to re-mux the stolen files one by one manually

Come on.  If you can find the movies and download them, it isn’t killing you to have to take a couple of seconds to “fix” them yourself.

Other than the illegal activity, I’m not really seeing the “problem” to which you refer.

lol. I think it’s funny that you wasted your time typing all.

2 things and then I’m done with this back and forth with you.

1. Why would WD bother to fix the header problem if there isn’t one like you say? And yes they did fix it in the newer firmware.

2. And with my original post all I wanted to do was point out that there is a DTS output problem with the new firmware and MKV files.

But thank you for telling me something what I have read before, many times. Your comments may chastise me but they provide no real value to an actual issue that there is here whether you think it’s a problem or not.

Bottom line: The issue is content independent and your comments are unnecessary.