DS6100 Will Not Turn On (Powers on then instantly reboots & loops)

My DS6100 has been stored away for a few months during a move, it was tested when I 1st got to the new home and then hasn’t been on for a few months until I got settled.

I have ruled out damage in transit hopefully since it was working a few months back but when I tried to turn it on last week and ever since it will not start.

It powers on and displays Startup but then trips out and reboots instantly. It just loops like that until I pull the plug.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions to try resolve this?

Thanks

any activity on a monitor if you attach one? May be BSOD and set to restart. Would try F8 perhaps for safe mode

No activity on the monitor, it happens within a couple of seconds so don’t think it is getting far enough for a BSOD.

It’s like it’s tripping out, I’ve removed the data drives to see if that was the problem but still the same and I’ve also tried different power cables and both the DC inputs

Suppose you could remove the battery from the motherboard with the power disconnected to reset it.
while the cover is off blow out everything

I have tried that, didn’t want to open it up at first but since it was already broke I went ahead and removed it.

It’s not been used very much, it’s like brand new so no dust or anything in it.

Any other suggestions?

Here are the steps I have tried

Removed CMOS battery
Removed all drives
Both DC inputs
Recovery button

Could it be a failed CPU, Meomory or PSU?

The only things I can think of you can do is try to reseat the ram which I think is hard to get to… I forget. If its has more than one stick try one at time perhaps.

Put a voltmeter on the power brick output.

Removed all drives that includes the boot drive(s)?

Not sure what country you are in or how much storage you need but I would look for a Thecus “W” unit. I have bought W2000’s on ebay for under $200. Get an empty box and put your drives in it.

It only has 1 stick, haven’t got around to putting in a 2nd stick.

No didn’t remove the boot drives, I could try that but to me it’s hardware fault not software.

I am in the UK, I use it for backing up work stuff and a couple of VMs but the plan was to create a new VM for Plex because my HP microservers are struggling.

Will have a look at the ram later and see if that fixes it

well a hard drive has some hardware LOL
The Thecus with 2gb ram will not do VM’s so that’s no help either.

It does but I don’t think it would stop a boot to bios, only CPU or ram should do that.

It might be shorting out though so will disconnect them all and try ram and bios battery later.

Did you try booting with the recovery button pressed? Sometimes it can take a LONG time for the bios to do anything. Also what does the LCD do?

Tried the recovery button, when I turn it on lcd says startup. I see all the blue led lights and then it’s like someone flicks the switch and I hear a click and it repeats the process over and over

FWIW mine for years has said bad bios and booting from backup bios. WD said after one boot it should fix itself. Never di. It does that click when it reboots but it takes a bit before it does.

Just really sounds like yours is broken.

So you think my is broken beyond repair? Don’t think it’s under warranty anymore either

Removed both boot drives got the same error without a loud click and now it’s booting to a red light with 0X55 and fan full speed.

Stays like that for a few mins then reboots?

This is progress?

Do you have access to a voltmeter? I would really like to know how many volts the brick is putting out and ideally under a load.

You still see nothing on the monitor, not the LCD screen?

You should reach out to WD support anyway and see what they might do for you.

I don’t but I might see if I can buy or loan one.

After it being left a few hours and the drives are back in its back to the original reboot issue now, I don’t see the red light or error code on the LCD.

I have tried to phone WD 2 or 3 times and it says office is closed when I choose sentinel from the options.

Just since you have tried about everything else. Even if it turns out to be the brick I am not sure where you get one. And I have yet to see someone actually have a bad one. In the good ole US of A we have Harbor Freight who is constantly sending coupons for free voltmeters.

Why would you want PLEX in a VM any way :slight_smile: If you are not using your DS6100 for client backups you can get any ole NAS or even a raspberry pi for plex.

Want it on VM so it can be moved should I get a new server in the garage.

Plex is giving me issues. I have 2 X HP microservers with around 16TB between them, they were supposed to do all my media needs and general back ups for MacBook. They have been fine but playing 1080p WEB-DL TV shows from via an Amazon FireStick the CPU rockets to 100% and causes playback issues. It should just be reading the file but seems plex wasnts to transcode.

I have also had issues else where using Nvidia shield not playing a BD Remux which again should just play original file without transcoding but for some reason CPU spikes to 100%.

The plan was to fire up the DS6100 back up which I was planning to sell and make use of that, very good storage for critical data and could have a decent spec VM running plex server.

Then disaster struck…

I load Plex up every now and then to see if it can replace Media Center so I really know little about it.
I will say a “feature” of VM’s was to move from different host hardware. But with win 8.1/server 2012R2 I have had zero problems simply restoring a full image backup to new hardware. It may say to reboot on first boot, but then it is good to go. So no need to run a slow VM. YMMV

Had an email from WD Support, at first they suggest boot drive fault but I questioned why I couldn’t even boot to the bios.

Outcome was then it was probably a hardware fault and if I am not in warranty there’s nothing they can do for me so sadly I’m not further on with this…

Thanks for trying though, it was worth speaking to them just to see if they could offer any additional troubleshoot steps