Drives not Readable outside MyBook Duo Enclosure?

I was recently informed that MyBook Duo’s automatically encrypt the hard drives. I wasn’t aware of this.

The other day I decided to see if the drives in my MyBook Duo was readable outside of the enclosure and it appears they are NOT.

I pulled both drives, 4TB WD Red’s, and put them into an Inateck Drive Dock and plugged it into my computer. The drives did not appear (I tried both disks individually), in Disk Management, they appeared as UNFORMATTED/UNALLOCATED disks, and Disk Managment wanted to format them so I could use them. 

I put them back into the MyBook Duo, and plugged it into my computer, and it worked fine.

So, what am I to make of this? Does that mean the MyBook Duo encrypted the drives so nothing but the MyBook Duo can read it? Is there any way to turn this off? Because now I’m really concerned for the safety of my data. It’s nice that it’s Mirrored, but NOT nice because I’m stuck with this ONE enclosure that can read my data.

Anyone have any ideas about what I’m seeing?

Dower

Hello,

Do you have the drive set on any specific RAID configuration? 

If the unit is on RAID 0 you should be able to see them on the PC with a different eclosure. Howerver, if the unit is seto on RAID 1, they wont show up on the PC as normal due to the configuration.

The unit is setup as a RAID1, Mirror. So, they should be duplicates of themselves… 

I can understand if it was a RAID0, Stripped, but I’m not using that, since there is no redundancy there.

I have tried more or less the same thing, but without RAID just JBOD.
I created a NTFS volume on one disk in my Duo, added some files.
After disconnecting the Duo and pulling out the disk and connecting it directly using a SATA cable the disk does not seem to contain a file system.
So data not accessible outside the Duo.