Drives do not recognize each other when connected together via USB 3.0

I bought a DL4100 to replace our standard mycloud and want to move certain select files over to the new device. When both drive are connected together through the SS 3.0 ports with a 3.0 male to male cable, the drive do not see each other.

I specifically want to go through the USB 3.0 cable as that is the fastest method.

On the DL4100 dashboard the USB dropdown says “There are no USB Devices found” but they are connected.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Richard

I think I foung the answer. I need a USB “Bridged” cable not standard…

Just drag and drop should be done by the time you get a cable :)  Never used a bridge cable though, but a quick Google just came up with USB 2.0 ?

Agree, drag and drop (i.e. copy) and transfer data through network connecttion of both devices is fastest way.  The other day, 160 GB of video files went from USB3 drive connected to a Win 8 PC to the DL box via this way at 90MB/sec.

As well those bridge things look like windows to windows.  But I have no clue about *nix

Two options. Opeion 1 is being clever. Option 2 is being a bit lazy.

OPTION 1:

I do this differently. Over the network.  How, thus . . . .

Assume the NAS you’re sucking files from is named OLD-NAS and the DL4100 is named, DL4100.

Admin username is admin and password is letmein.  The other NAS IP is 172.16.0.101.

Above isa for this example. Use details that’s right for your network.

On the DL4100 enable SSH and get to the command prompt.

What I’ve done is sort of semi-automatic.  Manual intervention required to copy each share across one at a time.

First create the same shares on the DL4100 and names exactly the same as on your old NAS.

So //OLD-NAS/Films means you create on the DL4100 //DL4100/Films , and so on . . .

Sign on to the Linux shell on the DL4100 and . . .

mkdir /m
mkdir /m/nas
mount -t cifs //172.16.0.101/Films /m/nas -o username=admin,password=letmein

Create a script somewhere on the NAS.  On miine I created it in /share/Volume_1.  (I have al drives configured as RAID5).  I called mine: /share/Volume_1/cpshare.sh.  I also set the permissions to 700 using chmod 700 /share/Volume_1/cpshare.sh

cp --no-clobber --preserve=timestamps --recursive /m/nas/* /shares/Volume_1/Films/ >/shares/Volume_1/Films/cp.stdout 2>/shares/Volume_1/Films/cp.err
chown -R admin /shares/Volume_1/Films/*
chgrp -R share /shares/Volume_1/Films/*
chmod -R 755 /shares/Volume_1/Films/*

Invoke the bash shell.

Start the script: /share/Volume_1/cpshare.sh &

Invoke the command: disown -h

While you wait, you can go do something else.

Once the copy job is complete, which you’ll need to use the ps or top commands to see the cp, chown, chgrp or chmod are not running then use the command:

umount /m/nas

Go back to the first set of Lunux command and now use the same mount command, but change the share name for your other share . . .

mount -t cifs //172.16.0.101/Other_share /m/nas -o username=admin,password=letmein

Change the script . . .

cp --no-clobber --preserve=timestamps --recursive /m/nas/* /shares/Volume_1/Other_share/ >/shares/Volume_1/Other_share/cp.stdout 2>/shares/Volume_1/Other_share/cp.err
chown -R admin /shares/Volume_1/Other_share/*
chgrp -R share /shares/Volume_1/Other_share/*
chmod -R 755 /shares/Volume_1/Other_share/*

Start the script: /share/Volume_1/cpshare.sh &

Invoke the command: disown -h

While you wait, you can go do something else.

umount /m/nas

… and so on . . . .

OPTION 2:

Enable FTP on the OLD-NAS.

Crerate the shares on the DL4100.

Use the DL4100’s FTP Web IO app to copy files from OLD-NAS the DL4100.

:smiley:

I don’t think a bridge cable would work. WD NASs excpect USB mass storage to be conencted to it and the NAS can’t behave as USB mass storage.  The exception to the rule is the WD MyPassport Wireless.

Gramps wrote:

Just drag and drop should be done by the time you get a cable :)  Never used a bridge cable though, but a quick Google just came up with USB 2.0 ?

Myron:   HUH??  One doesn’t need to get so geeky to copy files from one place to another!  What was your speed in MB/sec?  Mine was 90MB/sec.

I had a seriously large amout of data to copy between NAS’s because my source is a MyBook Live Duo I didn’t get the speeds you got, but I wrote a script that I fired up as a background task on the DL4100 and then went to bed.  Didn’t time the copy task. I did try to use rsync, but rsync had issues.

Anyway, everything successfulyl transferred from NAS to NAS.  (the MyBook Live Duo does not have a USB3 port so even if I could do USB to USB it would have taken a l-o-n-g time. I also didn’t want to involve a computer to do the copying. Direct NAS to NAS over the network.)

Interesting, and I have a question:  if a drag and drop command is invoked from a computer from This NAS to That NAS, it seems that is the only involvement of a computer.  After that, the computer is out of the picture, correct?

The computer is still “involved”.  Only way to bypass the computer is with all that geeky nix cmd line stuff :slight_smile:

Which I’ve done and the geeky methord works really well. Where it falls-over is where non-ASCII characters or unicode character codes are in the file names. Those files have to be transferred manually using a computer to do the copying.

Gramps wrote:

The computer is still “involved”.  Only way to bypass the computer is with all that geeky nix cmd line stuff :slight_smile:

Thanks Gramps.  OK, so the computer is still involved, BUT the computer isn’t “doing much” right?  Meaning all the data is not passing through it , I hope.  I presume it is just there “monitoring” the procedure, right?

I think it is like a “bucket brigade”  NAS1 hands computer a bucket of bits who hands it to NAS2.  So if the computer has slow hands, he slows down the process. Gigabit nics and switches make a BIG difference.

If either NAS was Windows based you could RDP to the desktop and tell it to copy to/from and eliminate the middle man/computer.  This is what the geeky nix stuff above does.

If you dran-and-drop the computer is very involved. Copied data from the source and send it to the destination. With the Geeky stuff NAS1 is pulling files directly from NAS2.

mike27oct wrote:

Thanks Gramps.  OK, so the computer is still involved, BUT the computer isn’t “doing much” right?  Meaning all the data is not passing through it , I hope.  I presume it is just there “monitoring” the procedure, right?