Driver and Icon

Every time i reboot computer it is looking for a driver for my passport elite even though if i go to my computer i can open up my files. There is also a problem with the icon in the notification area. It used to show up as WD now there is no Icon. I have vista OS . It just has an Icon that looks like a usb plug with a green check mark.that when you put mouse over it it says  safely remove hardware. Thankyou

what is the model of your drive?

Model is WD3200MLB Elite

Hi I do have the same problem, really annoys me every week for last 5 months, i think to send it back under manufacture warranty. its painful with this - i have WD MY PASSPORT ESSENTIAL 250 GB. I do use windows vista laptop and widows 7 desktop but both have similar situations. not knowing waht to do with this expensive piece, really unhappy and unsatisfied. i bought of amazon and dont know if wd would help me as my online registration shows that i still have 900 days of warranty. have you got answer to your ealrier question or didi u manage ur know. please do help and also reply your comments here and on my email: [text deleted for privacy] 

Check your device manager and see if any device has yellow bang (driver not installed).

If yes, try installing below utility driver (1.  takes care of driver after reboot, and 2. give you safe remove drive utility and give fuel gauge via 4 LEDs; 25% each).

I did have 2 yellow bangs but it said unkown so I deleted both of them.

I restarted computer and plugged in my WD but it doesn’t reconize it as WD just a additional drive. I don’t want to run all the back up software that they supply. I just want the one that will reconize the Drive. I looked under  hardware and there is no WD listed.Thankyou

I did have 2 yellow bangs but it said unkown so I deleted both of them.

I restarted computer and plugged in my WD but it doesn’t reconize it as WD just a additional drive.

After reboot you probably have 2 yellow bangs again.

1 yellow bang is from WD driver (SES).  I am not sure what 2nd yellow bang is.

Right click WD SES device from device manager and install SES driver manually.

Browse driver to E:\Extras\WD SES Device Driver folder.  Not E: is your Virtual CD drive letter.

Once you install this SES driver, you won’t get popup telling you to install.

If you do not take care of 2nd unknown yellow bang that is separate issue (not WD drive).

If you plug into another Windows computer it will give you popup until your SES driver is installed.

If you install WD SmartWare it will install SES driver also.

I don’t want to run all the back up software that they supply.

You do not have to use WD backup software.

I just want the one that will reconize the Drive. I looked under  hardware and there is no WD listed.Thankyou

Installing SES driver should fix your problem.

Once you install SES driver.  You have option to disable VCD (Virtual CD).  To do this go to this website and follow the instruction.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities

Good luck.

i need the driver

@ waldo318  : go to here …

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/URGENT-HELP-DRIVERS-HAS-BEEN-DELETED-TOO/m-p/20112#M996

@ WD Community moderators : can you merge these issues/topics?

download  ’ WD SES Device Driver.zip’ from here …

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1104424-new-wd-passport-smartware.html

extract the files &  browse to them using Devic manager - driver update.

1 Like