Drive Works but LED flashing yellow

A couple of days ago I lost cloud access on my drive (worked fine on my network). I tried rebooting the drive using the UI Utility and it timed out (gave me a message that it timed out waitng for a reboot). So I unplugged the drive, waited 1 minute then plugged it in. The LED went from blinking white to solid white as expected but then it went to blinking yellow instead of solid blue. It’s been blinking yellow ever since. My drive seems to be working fine. I can access it from my network and remotelly. I can copy files and stream media using DNLA but the LED has been blinking yellow non-stop for two days.

I have reset the drive using the utility as well as by unplugging and plugging back in. The blinking persists. Manual says the light blinks when cables are unplugged or temperature is too high.

-All the cables are plugged in (the drive works, so we can assume the cables are fine)

-The QuickView utility says the temperature is fine. 

I am concerned about burning out/ruining the drive somehow. The blinking doesn’t bother me as long as the drive works. Is this blinking ok?

Since you can access the My Cloud, have you run a Diagnostic test to see if it reports a problem.

Open the Web UI, then first go check the notifications (click on the “bell” icon in the upper right hand corner).  If there’s no notifications (Warning or Critical), then go to Settings>Utilities, then run a Quick Test.  If if doesn’t report a issue run a Full Test.

If it passes both tests, then you can try doing a Factory Reset.  Try doing just the System Only reset first, that will resort your system but leave your files intact.

What does the Diagnosis box say in the home page of the dashboard and what does it say on the pop up screen when you click > on the right of that diagnosis box.

I would say that even if it works you have some kind of fault, it may be best to contact WD support via phone (best) or email.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

I know on older versions (MBL) the LED would blink when the drive was indexing media or converting photos to mobile versions. Could that be the issue here?

alexrusso wrote:

I know on older versions (MBL) the LED would blink when the drive was indexing media or converting photos to mobile versions. Could that be the issue here?

As you said according to the manual it should not be blinking yellow. On the MBL it is has exactly the same meaning - attention (temp warning / network cable not inserted)

It shouldn’t be blinking at all, even though you are able to use the drive.  It may mean some kind of error in the OS.  If you can, do a quick factory restore (not full) and see if it goes back to normal.  It will delete your files though. 

Diagnostics were all fine. I decided to upgrade to today’s firmware release. As soon as it finished downloading the light went from blinking to solid blue. Then it installed the firmware and rebooted and the light is now blue. All seems to be well. Glad the firmware fixed it. My suspicion is it had to do something with media indexing because once the firmware downloaded the “Content Scan” message changed from idle to Error.