Received the replacement my cloud from WD. It arrived with firmware version 4.00.01-623. I set it up the same way as I did the old drive, static IP, ssh on, turned off iTunes server, DLNA server, and the firmware auto update as I suspect the firmware update to have created this “drive free space reporting” issue.
I did a full factory restore on my old drive with the latest firmware through the gui to remove all my data and prepare it to be shipped back to WD. I decided to try an experiment as I had 30 days to return the old drive to WD. I set it up on it’s own static IP with the same options turned on so I can monitor activity side by side. I wasn’t sure if I was just pushing data at the drive too fast and not giving the indexing process on the mycloud enough time to complete it’s scan. So I then copied 100 GB of data to each using the Windows copy/paste from a common PC. Both drives behaved the same way and displayed drive statistics as expected. I then used the same method and copied 10 GB of photos to each, again no difference, all good. I then copied 300 GB more of data to each. At this point the drive on the old firmware continued to behave as expected, but the drive with the new firmware stopped reporting statistics and displayed the dash(-). I waited until the scanning page showed that it was done scanning for file types and idle, but the drive with the new firmware still would not display drive statistics.
I then turned on a backup program, syncback, to move the bulk of my data to the my cloud with the old firmware. I have about 1 TB more to move. I continued to monitor the drive then left it to work in the overnight. I checked it this morning and all the data has moved. The drive statistics are up to date. I checked the drive with the new firmware, still just a dash(-) or free space.
I read the release notes for the latest firmware. It only mentioned this repaired an issue with ATP. I don’t use the iTunes server or time machine backup. I can’t see any of the release notes for the previous firmware versions, but at this point my drive is working for what I need it to do so I am inclined to leave it and not update firmware as I think it is something in the latest firmware that is corrupting the database, I just don’t know how to prove it. I am not planning on updating irmware until forced to do so.