Drive speed

so mycloud is hooked to an ethernet cable… but its very slow, can i hook it to my router with a USB cable??? (yes my router takes USB)

No you can’t hook it to the router via usb cable.

The speed your experiencing can be caused by number of reasons.

Search the forum on speed related issues and causes… but the first check you should do is, connect your ethernet cable to mycloud and check that the green light is flashing on the rear of the device… this means its connected to gigabit, if its orange that is only 100megabit.  The difference is, you can transfer at ~120 megabytes per second in gigabit, and only 12 megabytes per second on 100megabit

Normal transfer speed on large files from mycloud is around 80megabytes per second on 1 gigabit network.

Transfer speed on lots of smaller files is greately reduced due to extra processing required to seek file/directory information on the drive and process it.

rubikcubic wrote:

No you can’t hook it to the router via usb cable.

The speed your experiencing can be caused by number of reasons.

Search the forum on speed related issues and causes… but the first check you should do is, connect your ethernet cable to mycloud and check that the green light is flashing on the rear of the device… this means its connected to gigabit, if its orange that is only 100megabit.  The difference is, you can transfer at ~120 megabytes per second in gigabit, and only 12 megabytes per second on 100megabit

Normal transfer speed on large files from mycloud is around 80megabytes per second on 1 gigabit network.

Transfer speed on lots of smaller files is greately reduced due to extra processing required to seek file/directory information on the drive and process it.

I have Gigabit Ethernet and every test I’ve run over Gigabit has given significantly less than 80MB/s.  You must have the scanning deamons disabled and a highly tuned ethernet network to be getting those speeds.

My setup:

MacBook Pro - Mac OS X 10.9.4

Asus RT-N66U Gigabit Wifi Router

WD My Cloud 4TB

Here’s a 300MB file transfer test over Gigabit Ethernet WITHOUT the WD scanning daemons disabled:

Here’s a 300MB file transfer test over Gigabit Ethernet WITH the WD scanning daemons DISABLED:

Here’s a 3GB file transfer test over Gigabit Ethernet WITH the WD scanning daemons DISABLED:

So, even going from a 300MB to a 3GB file can make a significant difference in transfer speeds.  And … having the WD scanning daemons is a must to get anywhere near those speeds.  This is the best I’ve seen on my network.  I’m happy with these speeds but I had to disable a key WD software feature to get them.