Drive slow and fails to connect following upgrade

Continuing the discussion from New Release - My Cloud Product Firmware Version 2.11.140 (3/29/16):

Continuing the discussion from New Release - My Cloud Product Firmware Version 2.11.140 (3/29/16):

I upgraded the firmware and now the drive is useless. Started with incredibly slow backup speed, 120mb Timemachine backup in 10.25 hours and then the drive disappeared completely from finder. Tried the WD software to reconnect but after a few minutes it just says drive cannot be connected. Read lots of old posts with similar problems and resolution doesn’t seem to have been found. Most seem to point to problems post firmware upgrade so I have decided to reformat the drive and start again. If that doesn’t work I am going to launch the drive through the window. Don’t suppose that will fix it but it will make me feel a whole lot better.

How soon after the upgrade did you start the backup? It could have been busy indexing and thumbnailing.
IIRC, TimeMachine has trouble with any NAS. Google may confirm.
If it really was better with earlier firmware, go back to the earlier firmware; search the forums for ‘downgrade’.

Or just try a system only restore; often a fix for post-upgrade problems…

Was a week to 10 days afterwards so there was no issue with the install. Backup just started running really slowly (hours to do 100mb) so I stopped the backup because at that rate it would have taken weeks. Read forum posts and logged a support incident with WD but before I got a response, and within a couple of days the drive then disappeared from finder. Decided to completely reformat the drive as many posts suggest this solution works. Did that overnight and backup is mow progressing and 850gb will be backed up before end of the day. The WD drive still doesn’t appear in finder but I have mapped the shares manually so the backups work ok. Frustrating HT having the drive in finder but I can locate it by going to computer. Performance seems back to normal though so the posts suggesting the firmware update causes issues with the Linux OS would appear to be the case.