Drive not showing in Windows

OK, this one has me stumped, as well at the Asus ROG forums stumped.  They suggested I try here.

The setup:

I recently upgraded my EVGA X58 SLI-3 based system to an Asus Rampage IV Formula.  I am using a new OCZ Vector 256GB SSD as C:/ in this build and migrating my Western Digital Black WD2001FASS 2TB HDD from the X58 to continue to be used as D:/  The HDD has been in service with no issues since January of 2011.  About 6 months ago the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe I was using as the C:/ in the X58 system spontaneously died and a quick warranty replacement later I was back up and running.  Through that the D:/ didn’t skip a beat.  All data was safe and accessible as one would expect.

For this build I updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest available (version 4004).  I have the OCZ on Intel SATA 3 port 1 and originally had the WD Black drive on Intel SATA 3 port 2.  I have a BluRay drive on Intel SATA 2 port 1 and a CD/DVD burner on Intel SATA 2 port 2.  I have since tried the WD Black on Intel SATA 2 ports 3 and 4 as well as the ASMedia SATA 3 ports 1 and 2.

The problem:

The HDD is recognized in BIOS.

The HDD is recognized during Windows installation.

The HDD is recognized by Intel Rapid Storage Technology program but is reporting as “Offline”.

The HDD is NOT recognized by Windows. It doesn’t display in the drive list in My Computer, nor does it display in the Drive Management tool.

The summary:

So I pulled the WD 2TB Black out of the Rampage tower and put it into my HTPC (which I bult on an Asus M4A78-E) and it worked just fine.  I also put it in the new tower I built using the old X58 motherboard, and it worked just fine.  So then I tried a WD 640GB Black on the Rampage in place of the 2TB drive, and it worked.  I put the 2TB drive in an external enclosure and it worked on both the HTPC and the Rampage.  I put the 2TB back into the tower with the Rampage and no love. 

I updated RST to the latest version with no love.

I uninstalled RST using Revo at it’s strictest setting, rebooted and no love.

The 2TB WD Black drive works in all situations except on a SATA port with the Rampage.  The SATA ports on the Rampage work with all drives I have tried except the 2TB WD Black.

So…  Any ideas?

I’m not familiar with this controller, so here are just a few guesses:

i believe the controllersoftware is keeping the drive from being usable within windows (declared as offline, not shown in disk management). since the software is not running when using the install disk, there is nothing to be hidden.

logically, we need to declare it as online, active or whatever. I guess it was used as a spare or within a raid configuration, resulting in the controller disabling it to keep the data and functionality of the drive intact. dunno…

now, as to how to enable the drive, im not really sure (unfamiliar after all), but did you read whatever that ?-bubble next to “offline” has to say? maybe some instruction as to how to reenable it or something?

David64, I also thought that iRST was hiding the drive which is why I tried both the newest version on the Asus support site as well as the newer version off the Intel site.  When neither version worked, I completely unistalled it and the drive is still hidden from Windows.  With the program completely unistalled (via Revo Unistaller using the Advanced mode and deleting everything associated with it) I can’t believe that it could be iRST still causing me trouble.

Also, why would iRST hide this one HDD and not others?  Even after I deleted all partitions using Parted Magic effectively placing the drive into a “new” state?

i also somewhat doubt that its completely gone within windows. e.g. applications that can read smart and the likes might still see it. can you check for that? I like AIDA64, though this is only available as a 30-day trial.

Since you use raid or rather a raid capable controller, can’t you go into its bios settings and reset any raid configuration that includes this drive?

For what it is worth, I am not familiar with either the motherboards nor the HDDs that you have described.  So my questions and comments are just based on what you wrote.

The summary:

So I pulled the WD 2TB Black out of the Rampage tower and put it into my HTPC (which I bult on an Asus M4A78-E) and it worked just fine.  I also put it in the new tower I built using the old X58 motherboard, and it worked just fine.  So then I tried a WD 640GB Black on the Rampage in place of the 2TB drive, and it worked.  I put the 2TB drive in an external enclosure and it worked on both the HTPC and the Rampage.  I put the 2TB back into the tower with the Rampage and no love.

_____________________________________________________________________> Are you sure that the Rampage controller supports 2 TB drives? The mobo manual should tell you.  Perhaps you need to load a driver for the controller if the HDD is > ~ 1.5 TB.  The Windows 7 installer just reports each internal HDD that it finds, which does not mean that Windows 7 can functionally access the HDD. > Also, I have not looked-up the specs for the Western Digital Black WD2001FASS but I think you need to be sure that it was designed to use SATA 3 – although it should, on the face of it, at least work on a SATA 2 port.> Last, but not least:  check whether you need to set jumpers, or remove any that were set while the drive was installed in the other system. You might also need a new cable.

Stardance wrote:

Are you sure that the Rampage controller supports 2 TB drives? The mobo manual should tell you.  Perhaps you need to load a driver for the controller if the HDD is > ~ 1.5 TB.  The Windows 7 installer just reports each internal HDD that it finds, which does not mean that Windows 7 can functionally access the HDD. > Also, I have not looked-up the specs for the Western Digital Black WD2001FASS but I think you need to be sure that it was designed to use SATA 3 – although it should, on the face of it, at least work on a SATA 2 port.> Last, but not least:  check whether you need to set jumpers, or remove any that were set while the drive was installed in the other system. You might also need a new cable.

I believe I can already answer most of these questions:

the rampage IV is a very recent mobo with an x79 chipset. I highly doubt that such an advanced chipset doesn’t support 2TB or more, since earlier chipsets already supported these drives. Also, isn’t the limit only imposed on drives larger than 2TB?

SATA II and III are backward compatible with both SATA I and SATA II, so that shouldn’t be an issue, aside from its lower transfer speed (not much of a point with HDDs though).

Jumper setting pretty much died with the conception of SATA^^ there are still jumpers on WD drives, but according to the following link, they should have no impact on the compatibility with his system:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001037.pdf

these are only for power reduction and other stuff. one jumper reduces the connection speed from SATA III to SATA II or SATA II to SATA I. that shouldn’t matter with this motherboard though.

And thanks to stardance, i thought of two more possible ways to circumvent that issue:

Since the mobo comes with two SATA controllers, why don’t you test the other controllers sata ports instead to eliminate the issue with intels raid controller software?

Also, while youre not doing raid, you might as well disable it in the bios and go back to AHCI… Might solve the issue too

Forgive me for piggybacking on the post but I cannot see any button to press to start a new subject.

I have 3 Raptors and two show up in BIOS as SATA but one says AOSI??

What is AOSI?

Just for the information- I have a 2 TB FASS drive running on a SATA 3.0 port without problems. (Asus Crosshair V Formula Z). There are no jumpers set on the drive.

EDIT: Just realized what the age of the thread is. My post is probably irrelevant at this point.