Drive Mapping in XP - AAAAGH!

I am having great difficulty mapping to mybook live (2TB), and have been through literally every relevent post on this forum and others.

I am running XP Professional 32 bit SP3 on a Dell workstation.

I am in a serviced office with internet connection via single ethernet port. This is set up as a VLAN for which I have 4 assigned IP addresses.

I am using a Netgear GS605v4 switch to create a small network on my side of the VLAN. Hooked to this is the workstation, the mybook live, and a laptop.

All 3 connected components are assigned their IP addresses by DHCP. Both the workstation and the laptop can see the internet without difficulty. The networking of the components is another matter. Lets focus on the workstation for the moment.

On the workstation, I can ping the mybook. I have always been able to see its upnp logo in My Network Places, and double clicking always takes me to the web browser based dashboard where I can set up the device. I was initially able to see the public folder in My Network Places too, and could map a drive to this in an Explorer window. Typically after some time, the mapping would be lost (even without re-booting the machine), but I would be able to delete the connection and re-map it. After several attempts at this I could no longer map the drive or see the public folder in My Network Places anymore.

After much internet searching and playing with lots of the suggested fixes (checking all required services available, matching user names between XP and the drive, playing with ‘net view’ etc) I was finally able to see and map the public folder yesterday by playing with the ‘enable netbios’ function in network connections (currently set to ‘enable’ from ‘default’ though this had not made any difference previously). I could see the drive in ‘net view’ though no master browser was listed, and once again map to the public folder, and access files on it.

On turning on the workstation this morning I find that the mapping has again been lost. This time net view is back to reporting a system 53 error. I can ping the drive and use the dashboard, and I can see the public folder in My Network Places, but clicking it or mapping to it results in the usual ‘network path not found’ errors.

The laptop is running Windows 7 and has not lost its mapping overnight, and can still access the public files.

Can anyone help? I am fairly clueless about networks. Is there perhaps some sort of issue with device naming being caused by the fact that I have a VLAN and a peer-to-peer network? (I think…)

(The laptop and workstation cannot also access each other, but lets leave that for another day…)

Try setting the IP, you can also try to map the my book using wdlink.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8573/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTkyMTAwMi9zaWQvMnlCWHdCNGw%3D

Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it.

I run a pretty skinny machine, and was hoping not to have to install the WD software.

I had some success last night, followed advice from another online article to eliminate :

NodeType, and

DhcpNodeType

from the registry.

I can now map the drive, and the drive itself now appears as the master browser using net view.

Given the unpredictable nature of the problem I am not sure yet if this is a permanent cure, but fingers crossed…