Drive letters

Does it matter which drive letter Discovery automatically assigns? I have 5 computers on this same network, does the drive letter have to be the same on all 5, or is the letter an arbitrary number that doesn’t matter to the other computers?

It’s arbitrary…

It’s HANDY to keep them all the same so you don’t have to remember which computer is using which letter, but there’s no technical difference…

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate the info.  Another question arose on the same matter. Can I change the drive letter without affecting what has been backed up? Ot seems that would be OK to do, but I am new to network storage, although this seems more like a computer function.

I don’t know the answer to that one;  I use Norton Ghost for all my backups.    It DOES need to know what the new drive letter is;  SmartWare might be the same.

SmartWare backs up to the My Book Live itself, on a hidden share.  Because it backs up to the drive itself you do not need to have any shares mapped on your computer, and it doesn’t matter what letters you use.

Third-party backup software will have its own limitations but will either need a UNC (that’s like \mybooklive\Public for example) or a mapped drive letter.