Drive is soooooooooo slow to copy

Why oh why is this unit sooooooo slow.  I have the 3T connected to my Apple extreme base station & it’s telling me 12 days to copy over 60gig of pictures?

This is rediculous. 

Is it not using the data network cable & using WIFI?

Same issue here. 

Possibly same issue for me. Mac and My Cloud connected to the same switch. Seems to stall at 120-150 MBytes and says days to complete. This is my iPhoto library which copied OK to another internal drive (in maybe 2 hours) but no luck copying to My Cloud.

How are you guys copying to the My Cloud?

Dragging and dropping between folders

150 MBytes/s is faster than gigabit ethernet. That’s impossible. Did you really mean MBytes?

I have the same problem as well. I tried any possible way I could think of over the last three days I have the unit in my hands and seems it will take ages to upload the 2.5 GB volume of storage I have. What I tried are these ways:

1. Copy via the Windows 7 Explorer from my old NAS, all plugged on the same gigabit switch;

2. Copy via the WD My Cloud app on a Windows 8, gigabit ethernet pc, from a USB 3.0 HDD plugged in the WD My Cloud hardware;

Not to mention mapped drives via the wdmycloud or wd2go web interface.

If anyone has another idea or worked out a solution to make the upload speed affordable I’d be happy to hear it.

I had this problem as well.  Give the drive/unit a static IP address.  DHCP seems to be a problem for it.

1 Like

The drive is slow. (period).  I have it connected to a gigabit ethernet switch as is my PC and the drive constantly drops out of the network, takes forever to connect. There is no way it can function as a personal cloud, back-up storage, or anything else shorty of a doorstop.  All I see on the net is how slow and unreliable it is.  Sure is a bummer when they push out a product without adequate quality control.  This really shakes my confidence in Western Digital if they’re going to advertise this as they have. 

I’m having the same issue as well. I love this drive but the performance is pissing me off. I’ve tried on a newer router with it connected to a gigabit interface and the fastest write I’ve gotten is 15 Megabytes per second which to me seems pretty slow compared to other people I’ve seen getting 40-60. The iTunes server is not reliable. I have a 225 GB library and it intermittenly works and the DLNA server sometimes is slow.

I’m not getting the performance WD promised and it’s really frustrating. I haven’t seen any limitations on documentation that can help with my issues. I guess I’m going to call their support

It’s really frustrating… I am getting 1 mb transfer speed over ethernet. Wtih this rate I need ages to transfer all my data.

I have tried every thing, even updated the firmware but no success.

I am going to return it back. Can’t waste my time in fixing this great:angry: product.

Same slow copy from old My Book to new My Cloud. Tested and My Cloud no faster then old My Book.

Test - 7.3 GB copied via windows file explorer 60 minutes. It is faster to copy My Book to PC - 16 minutes then PC to My Cloud - 25 minutes for a total of 41. Why can’t My Book to My Cloud be 16 minutes or less???

There must be a solution.

A My Book is a USB drive, right?

If it takes 16 minutes to move a 7-gig file via USB to your local disk, then there’s something pretty slow with your PC.

It should take less than 5 minutes

And if copying from your PC to your Cloud is taking 25 minutes, I’d be looking at serious network issues.

Here’s what it should look like:

I’m copying an 8 Gig file from MY WD My Book drive to my Cloud directly:

Capture.PNG

… about five minutes total.

Make sure:

You’re NOT using wireless.

You’re using 100% gig-Ethernet

Your switch is up to the task.

luisrcastillo wrote:

I’m having the same issue as well. I love this drive but the performance is pissing me off. I’ve tried on a newer router with it connected to a gigabit interface and the fastest write I’ve gotten is 15 Megabytes per second which to me seems pretty slow compared to other people I’ve seen getting 40-60. The iTunes server is not reliable. I have a 225 GB library and it intermittenly works and the DLNA server sometimes is slow.

I’m not getting the performance WD promised and it’s really frustrating. I haven’t seen any limitations on documentation that can help with my issues. I guess I’m going to call their support

After my original post, I’ve made some wireless changes to my router (channels) and performance appears to have gotten better. I’ve also made a discovery…on my Mac, performance is waaaaaayyyyy better if I mount as an SMB share rather than Apple’s AFP. Using AFP, it takes forever to load the list of folders and files of my music directory. Mounting it using SMB, it’s at least 500% better. Write speeds have also gotten better.

We are working on fixing this. 

I get results similar to TonyPh, 4-5 minutes for a 5-7Gb ISO file using Windows drag/drop.  Do not use WiFi.  I even turn mine off to avoid conflict while using the Enet connection.  Connect your PC Enet directly to the same router or switch group that the My Cloud is connected to, ie don’t have the PC connected to the router and the MyCloud connected to a downstream switch.

I’ll pass this along as well.

Same here

Netgear 3700 router 1GB network connections throughout. My cloud plugged straight into the router so no switch inbetween and opening or saving to the My Cloud takes ages.

Updates/reset/rebooted done everything !!!

One observation is either a word doc or excell or a document being saved direct or from Outlook to the my cloud is that the programme (word/Excell/Outlook) has a short period of “not reponding” come up during the process then it sparks into life and communicates with Mycloud

This is so frustrating

Some more info and help please needed

I have set my router to give the Mycloud a static ip address (this does not assist the slow transfer). Do I need to set the static ip address in the my cloud settings as well?

I’ve been having this problem as well but a few weeks ago I noticed a .jpg file that had somehow duplicated itself about 100,000 times. Very hard to delete that many files, so I trashed the entire folder. The drive became much more responsive and speed was no longer an issue…until tonight. Another file has become super-duplicated, this one a .png logo. 

Note: the filesize is 0kb so it is not filling the disk, hiding the problem until you actually look into some folders. I found mine by accident, when looking to access another file in the same folder and noticing it’s taking way to long to open the folder. Let it run, eventually you’ll see the problem. 

I don’t know if WD looks at these boards, but somthing in their drive appears to be generating this error.