Drive gets corrupted every time I connect it to a certain PC

I’ve got a pretty old external hard drive. It’s a WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0. I’ve noticed that it seems like every time I connect it to my main PC at home, the drive gets corrupted. This is especially frustrating because I can access it and the file structure, but the pictures and files end up coming back all kinds of messed up looking (half the picture missing, color spectrum completely messed up, video pixelated, etc.) I stopped using it a year or two ago because of this, but recently I started using it again, and using it on my work computer doesn’t cause any problems, so I was thinking maybe it was working. WRONG! Took it home, transferred some files, and it’s corrupted them again.

Can anyone help me understand what could be causing this? It’s obviously something on my PC at home, but I don’t know where to start. I don’t ever unplug it while in use, instead I always shut the PC down, then unplug it. I’d love some assistance to correct this.

My home PC is Windows 7 64-bit, self built, and the motherboard is a MSI A55M-E33 Motherboard - AMD Socket FM2+, AMD A55 Chipset, mATX, Gigabit LAN, 8X USB 2.0 ports, HDMI port - A55M-E33. I’ve also reformatted the hard drive several times.

Thanks for your help!

Looking at it logically, since the issue is with displaying items, you could try seeing if your computer’s video card has a driver update.

I don’t think it’s a video card issue. I just gave those as examples. Another is that one of the folders that contained files that weren’t pictures didn’t even let me get into it, it just said the directory was corrupted and unreadable.

You could try removing the USB Mass Storage Device driver from the device manager and then Windows will install a fresh copy if you check for new hardware.

That could be it… I’ve seen the same thing happen on my flash drives from this machine too