Drive constantly working

Guys do you know the equivalent of

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable

update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

for my cloud mirror ? Can’t yet get an answer in the dedicated forum.

Tks

I know thats what the manual says, but mines alwayes sold blue.

Okay, but when mine sleeps the HDD, the blue light pulses, and I can feel the HDD is spun down. With solid blue light, I can feel the slight vibration of the spinning drive.

My first disk has a broken blue LED, so I’ve got used to using vibration to check its sleep state…

brakkar

The first two lines stops wdmcsererd and wdphotodbmergerd processes.  The second two lines stop

these two processes from being started on the reboot.  Until you do the last two lines with enable rather than disable.

those two processes will not run again.

RAC

Hi yes, but those lines, as I stated above, don’t work on my cloud mirror, and I don’t get answer in the dedicated forum.

I don’t know anything about the cloud mirror.  On the WD My Cloud those two scripts are in the /etc/rc2.d.  To find out

why your mirror is not sleeping.  You need to find out what it writting to the disk.  You can look at the scripts in /etc/rc2.d.

You can use the following command to stop any of the processes that are in the /etc/rc2.d directory.  Any script in the rc2.d directory that starts with S  you can type sh S stop.  You then need to wait to see if the drive goes to sleep.  Then stop another one and wait again.  As long as you don’t do the disable statement you can just reboot the device if something stops working.

RAC

When can we expect something from WDC regarding getting the Mycloud to sleep? I have tried everything I can think of and it just keeps running. Why should I have to find a running process writing to disk… where the HE*L is WDC?

Look at this in the wdmcserver.log

2015-10-10T01:05:56.815080-04:00 di=fCsfuU9oQi info wdmcserver: [6762:0x44b2f460] Error  Broken pipe

Traceback:

thrown from /data/workspace/workspace/wdmcserver_stable/src/util/Socket.cpp, line 403

2015-10-10T01:05:56.866895-04:00 di=fCsfuU9oQi info wdmcserver: [6762:0x44b2f460] Error  Broken pipe

You need to find ot what is writing to the disk.  Because there are several reasons that for the disk not sleeping.  As you have seen from previous threads samba has a bug that cases it to update the inode of browse.dat at least once every ten minutes.  Since the standby time is ten minutes.  The disk never goes quiet for ten minutes.  It depends on what you are running on your system that may cause the disk to not go to sleep.  With a little trial and error you should be able to isolate why it won’t go to sleep.

RAC

where the HE*L is WDC?

Not on this user forum. At least, not reading every post in every thread.

Have you raised a Support job?

cpt_paranoia wrote:

where the HE*L is WDC?

Not on this user forum. At least, not reading every post in every thread.

Have you raised a Support job?

Yes and I get no response for a few days now. I would think they know about the sleep issue with the latest update. It was fine prior to this one.

Check the /var/log/user.log for messages about missing file. The message below gets written to the log every 10 seconds. You can stop these messages by ssh to the My Cloud. cd to /etc/rc2.d. Then execute the following command. sh S20restsdk-serverd stop

2015-09-20T13:32:14.332820-04:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP notice restsdk[6572]: watch.go:109: Stat(), error: stat /tmp/dynamicconfig.ini: no such file or directory

RAC