Dreadfull first experience of WDSmartware

Hi, Have just bought a My Book Live for use on PC running XP home. It is connected to my wireless router (N wireless) and it appears to have installed ok and I have upgraded both the disk firmware and WDSmartware from the WD website so it should all be at the latest release. However, when trying to use the backup utility, I seem to be having a few problems.

1. All files have been categoriesd and according to the backup page, I appear to have over 80GB of data files to be backed up from a 75GB disk which has 25GB of free space and approx 25GB of system files !!!

2. The files took about 1 day to categorise and backup runs extremely slowly to the degree where I expect it will take days to perform a first backup if it ever completes at all.

This surely cant be right? Has anyone else had the same problems?

I also noticed that when I first boot the PC, the dis is diconnected presumably because the PC attempts to connect to the disk before it has established a wireless connection to the network. Would the backup utility work under this circumstance?

Many thanks

vento wrote:

1. All files have been categoriesd and according to the backup page, I appear to have over 80GB of data files to be backed up from a 75GB disk which has 25GB of free space and approx 25GB of system files !!!

Update Smartware and decrease the number of copies per file under the settings section.

vento wrote:

1. The files took about 1 day to categorise and backup runs extremely slowly to the degree where I expect it will take days to perform a first backup if it ever completes at all.

Depends, the speed of the MBL over wireless is much slower than a clean wired connection, on top of that it will be even slower if your router does not allow Gigabit network speeds. Check the light on the back of the MBL (Where the you plug the Ethernet cable) and if it is NOT green then your router is not helping.

vento wrote:

I also noticed that when I first boot the PC, the dis is diconnected presumably because the PC attempts to connect to the disk before it has established a wireless connection to the network. Would the backup utility work under this circumstance?

No.

Hi PM. Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated.

Smartware is the up to date version according to the website. It seems odd that if you select say, 5 copies, that the initial backup would create 5 identical copies! I assumed it would build up to a max of 5 copies each time the fie changes and then start deleting the oldest once it reached 5.

Good point about the wired connection. I assume if I connected the disk directly to the PC via an ethernet cable, would the PC recognise the disk so I could do an initial backup and then connect it back to the router to work ‘business as usual’ with each file update? BTW, light is green on back of disk.

Is there any way that I can change the start up order such that the pc does not try to reconnect the MBL until the wireless network connection has been established?

One more question… I started a backup and then stopped it. I then deleted the backup file via the MBL dashboard. WMsmartWare still thinks that the backup is part completed and shows progress as 210 files etc. How do I reset? or clear? wdsmartware such that it starts a new backup, rather than continuing where it thinks it left off, when I next select start backup?

Many thank in anticipation of a reply.

M