Dr who star trek and full episodes on youtube

Come on!!! YouTube allows people to view and download full episodes now… but no WDTV-live tells me its restricted media… DON"T BUY.  LAME!!!1

NYTEMAYR wrote:

Come on!!! YouTube allows people to view and download full episodes now… but no WDTV-live tells me its restricted media… DON"T BUY.  LAME!!!1

It can be the provider who determines what can be shown on TV attached devices like the WDTV and may have nothing to do with youtube.

It can also be due to worldwide restrictions. For example I am in the UK and unable to watch the Star Trek episodes from CBS on youtube because they are blocked to my country on copyright grounds.

It is not the WDTV Live is the Youtube that restrict  access to media.

thats why my dvd player can stream the same video?

Your (presumably older) DVD player has an old firmware that does not respect the media flags authors can place on their media, such as Syndication options.

If an author ticks the box saying, “No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV.”, your media player should respect that decision.  If it doesn’t, it’s breaking the hardware manufacturer’s agreement with YouTube.

WD TV Live users attempted to get around this by reverting to the 1.01.17 firmware, which also ignored the Syndication flag.  Now, YouTube updated the site to also block 0.17 users from viewing such media.

It could be the case that your DVD player is by an obscure chinese manufacturer that doesn’t give a ■■■■ about YouTube’s TOS.  It could be the case that YouTube will release an update to block your DVD player in future.  It could be the case that there are so few people using that DVD player that it’s not worth their time to block.

In any case, if you have a means of viewing the content then do so.

The WD TV Live can only view content that it is permitted to view.  That is not WD’s fault, nor something they can change.  Complaining about it will achieve absolutely nothing (other than irritate people in the same boat who are more aware of the situation).

It’s probably because your DVD Player is ignoring YouTube’s embedded flags.  Shame on them…   If YouTube finds out, you’re toast…   :wink:

Hey, let us know what brand it is so we can bring it to YouTube’s attention .