Downloads

I have downloaded a 2.5Gb movie from my WD Wireless to my iPad. But when I try to play the movie a message cames up telling me I must be on line.
I understood that the point of downloading was that you could watch it off line.
What have I done wrong?

If you are trying to watch an Apple DRM-porteted video this could be your problem.

BruceFloyd wrote:
I have downloaded a 2.5Gb movie from my WD Wireless to my iPad. But when I try to play the movie a message cames up telling me I must be on line.

Is the iPad authorised in your Apple Account?

To play Apple DRM movies the device you are playing on must be authorised by the same account that downloaded it.

Yes, the iPad is authorized on my Apple account.
But, the movie that I downloaded was from an independent source and not Apple. It shows as a “Downloaded Movie”, but asks for WiFi connection to play.

1.  Is the movie an mp4 extension?  If not, what is it?

2.  Can you wirelessly stream the movie to your iPad from the MPW?  THe whole point of the MPW is not to download movies from it to an iPad, but rather stream them to the iPad.

Yes, the movie has a MP4 extension, and yes, it will stream direct from the MPW.
But I understand the the purpose of the “Download” function is to allow watching of a movie direct from a mobile device when it is not possible to transmit a WiFi signal. IE in an aircraft.

As far as I know it is permissible to transmit the MPW wireless signal on an airplane once at cruising altitude and we can turn on our devices.  I, and others, do this frequently.

You also should be able to D/L your video, so if you are trying to D/L Apple DRM videos, it’s likely got something to do with Apple restrictions.  Have you tried same with a non-Apple video?

mike27oct wrote:

You also should be able to D/L your video, so if you are trying to D/L Apple DRM videos, it’s likely got something to do with Apple restrictions.  Have you tried same with a non-Apple video?

He already said; 

BruceFloyd wrote:
But, the movie that I downloaded was from an independent source and not Apple.

Bruce, what is the source of the video, and do you know if it has any DRM at all.

Also, what player are you trying to use on the iPad?

Asking to connect online would normally mean that the player is seeking to confirm it is authorised to play the video, or is looking for a method to decrypt the DRM in the video, which may require an update to the software, for example. Blu-ray software players are constantly doing minor updates to enable them to play the latest videos, as many new Blu-ray disks have new encryption methods.

By the way, I just downloaded one the the MPW training videos that come on the drive to my iPhone using the My Cloud App. Then turned off Wi-Fi on the iPhone, then played the downloaded video in the My Cloud App.

That scenario all worked fine.

The training videos that came on the MPW are actually quite good, and well worth watching if you haven’t. I picked up a couple of hints from them after just reading the manual initially. Worth the time to run through them all.

The movies I am attempting to download are from a separate hard drive loaned to me by a friend.
The movies work OK direct from the original external HDD, so I don’t believe it has DRM.
The player that I am using is the My Cloud. I have searched the App Store for others such as “PlayerExtreme”, “Air Playit”
and “VLC”, but I found them to be ineffective.
It is also interesting that each movie too about 6 hours each to download within My Cloud, and now they won’t play.

If you mean each 2.5GB movie took 6 hours to download, that is only 115KB/s or just under 1 Mbps (Mbit/s). Not a very good rate for modern Wi-Fi. That is more like an internet download speed, from a web site that is throttling connections. Even lowly old Wireless B should do better than that. The MPW uses Wireless-N MIMO with a 20MHz band. I haven’t checked the actual connection speed, but that standard can get up to 600 Mbps. I would expect a real world transfer rate of at least 50 Mbps, and probably up to 200 Mbps.

I would be suspicious of that rate, and assume that something bad was going on with the Wi-Fi. There may have been interference or something. Regardless of why, I would assume at this stage that the movies downloaded have been corrupted by the copy over Wi-Fi process.

There are some tools to be found on the web that can fix some corruption in mp4 movies. Usually they just do a basic job of fixing the header so the movie will play, but there may still be corruption in the file. I’m afraid I can’t suggest one as I use commercial software to do that sort of stuff, and haven’t actually had to fix a movie file in a long time. The free tools have changed a lot since I looked at them. I suggest you search for the latest tools, if you wish to fix the movies.

Regardless, based on that information I don’t think the problem is with the MPW or the My Cloud App, but is with the files themselves.

I hope you can fix them. If not, you may need to try recopying if you can get the soource again, and maybe use a USB connection next time. It would be much faster and more reliable.

You posted in the MPW forum, and now you tell us the videos are from a friend’s HD?

Did you  D/L them from that drive onto your MPW, and is that where you are viewing them from?  Besides, you and we have no idea of the quality/accuracy of these videos, etc.  Please only discuss problems regarding videos you made and KNOW are good ones, but do not play on your MPW.