Download From FTP server?

Hello,

I’m about to buy a wd m’y cloud but i’d like to know if auto download from an external FTP server to my cloud is possible?

Cheers!

You’d have to use SSH to do that. If you are familiar with Linux shell commands, or want to learn about it, you should be able to do that.

If you are the average consumer, there is feature out of the box to do this easiy. The workaround would be to use a computer to transfer from the ftp server to the NAS shares.

I am not sure what you mean by auto download though.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I rent a webserver where I download files. I’d like WD Cloud to connect to it via SFTP or FTP and download files from a specific folder. By “auto”, I mean synchronization: if a new file is added to the server, the WD should download it without me telling him to do so.

If you have to syncrhonize you will have to use rsync, and have the corresponding access on your web server, or install third party Linux packages. Installing packages requires solid Linux skills because of the particular firmware and configuration of this NAS (beyond my competence, but you will find other users with these skills easily around here).

If you are like me, you shoul dconsider using SyncBack SE. This PC tools allows you to sync ftp server contents with any local or network folder.

After enabling ssh from the webgui settings, the wdmycloud out-of-the box supports ssh/sftp and rsync client but not ftp client though there’s vsftpd server built-in. With a little unix knowledge, you could easily schedule a cronjob to perform the rsync with your external sftp server.