DON'T Buy this Unit

I have a new case open with WD Support currently and it looks like I am hosed - for the second time with Western Digital! I thought a major brand like WD would be more reliable, not less. My old Promise 4-Bay unit worked great for over 7 years. I only upgraded to WD because I knew it was old, would eventually fail, and I liked the WD Cloud access option.

You don’t have to read any further - just know that these units are not business (or even SOHO) grade, they will fail on you, and then you will be forced to buy another WD unit to migrate your data on that new enclosure. This unit is probably 3 to 4 years old - it should not have failed. I believe the root cause is a bad firmware upgrade, but I can’t prove it now.

Pissed beyond belief!

WD Support - if you are our there, and you are reading this, a little help would be nice.

1 Like

Hi,

You can contact WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

Thanks Logan - I did contact staff. I asked for an RMA for my unit and they said it was out of warranty, so I’m out of luck.

The only option provided was to buy yet another WD product - 2 of which have failed on me. I really have no desire to continue to buy WD products when they fail - but I guess I don’t have any choice if I want my data back, right?

I just had my second DL 4100 fail.

I used 4 drives to create an ISCSI volume that’s accessed by a server over the network connection. I suppose I’ll have to buy another of these units in order to mount the ISCSI volume on my server and recover my data.

This is the second one of these that I’ve had fail like this. The first one failed barely still under warranty and WD sent a replacement and I was able to recover the ISCSI volume. My concern now is that since the DL4100 is out of warranty and discontinued, will one of the newer models properly mount my ISCSI volume so I can recover my data?

Is this really the best WD can do?

Mine went down with smoke or fire. Just poof! RIP my 4100

OK, ordered a PR4100 as a replacement. Reinstalled the drives in the proper order and the new unit found and mounted the RAID. I turned on ISCSI and deleted the old ISCSI target from my server and found the new ISCSI target. Everything is up and working again.

I will probably be making plans to migrate everything to a SYNOLOGY unit.

Coming from a WD troll and used every system they made till they either caught fire or was damaged internally beyond repair. I migrated 20tb of data to a Syn 918+. My WD Drives have a new home for now… Go with the 8g of DDR4, I should have…

Edit: Also this topic is kinda tacky. I think every person should have the free choice to buy watever device. Your results with very per person and I dont think your experience with a one unit should define the group… Just saying…